Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well , the thing is looking to be heading in south of me and crossing Orlando again !
This sucks ....
Im loading the car on a trailer and hauling it whereever I go . If it hits there is a good chance I will lose my home and whatever parts I cannot load for the car . Im heading to harbor freight to get tarps now for after the storm . Going to move most of our clothes and electronics to a block house in titusville and then leave for north florida/ Georgia on Thursday .
I likely won't be on much as time is against me . Good luck to the East Coasters of VMF and God be with us all .

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Man :(
Good luck to you and everyone else down there

·
Registered
269 Posts
Good luck.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Just turned off weather channel. They give two scenarios. One looks like it'll hit SE in MY area or go up the coast. In other words...............they don't know! Got shutters ready but will wait 'til Thurs. Bummer is that my regular car sits out while my fully gutted 66 roller cv stays in. Would have no qualms about putting it out but it's too light to survive!

·
Registered
491 Posts
hey, i wouldnt worry about the hurricane hitting us. everytime they come to the east side of florida they make a turn for the north at the last minute. everyone is just really paranoid right now. remeber charley came from the west side of florida thats why we got hit. if you recall about 10 years ago after andrew hit every time a storm would as much as fart in our direction the news stations would all cry the sky is falling. after all stuff like this is good for ratings and good for the local economy so of course its going to be encouraged to scare the begeezus out of everyone.
but hey i could be wrong. if the thing is going to hit you are more than welcome to bring your parts to my block house in orlando. that way they can get blown away with my mustang parts. ::

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!! if it follows all models im going to get hit here in osceola county again!! sucks is a understatement, well there goes the 2 oaks and 3 pine that made it thru charly, havent even seen the insurance adjuster yet!! and i have 15-20,000 in damage to my home, well in the words of Captian Dan in Forrest Gump BRING IT ON GOD i dont know what weve done but bring it on!! ::

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Alright guys...let's not totally freak out. I just checked with My NWS forecasters. Yes, we have a serious situation our hands here.
I'll keep updating with the latest and greatest.
We have a couple of different scenerios to look at. The upper level atmospherics could really push this baby off into the gulf stream and take her north. Then again it could dance across Florida :: :( .
I'd say tomorrow is the prime time to travel if there is any.
I'm waiting until we see the effects of the island chain.
Best thing is to stay glued to the Tv or radio.
Lemondrop and Ron and Fedex....you guys should definatley be boarding up. Try not to wait until the last minute. I-95 N is going to be a BIOTCH! It took my wife 8 hours to just get out of town during Floyd. I heard it took 13 hours to get from Melbourne to Jax. Which we all know is only a 2 hours trip.

·
Registered
805 Posts
mr289mustang, what part of Orlando are you in? I have some friends down there in Winter Park, I spent 6yrs there myself. Every hurricane warning had me running around like an idiot ::. Good luck to everyone.

·
Registered
491 Posts
im in casselberry. its right by winterpark. i have done the idiot dance enough times to know i will wait till the last minute to board up the house and fill the bath tub. ::

·
Registered
151 Posts
My insurance adjuster called late yesterday and wanted to schedule his walkthrough – I told him I’d try to squeeze him in next week after Frances has passed! ::

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I'm in Orlando too :: I got 10-15000 in damage from Charley and my ins adjuster finally got to me on Sat. I have calls in at 3 contractors to fix my roof and as yet none of them have even shown up to give me an estimate. As for Frances, as mr289mustang said the news media here likes to blow these things way out of proportion for the sake of ratings. Yes, it needs to be watched, and yes we need to be prepared, but historically all the storms approaching from the south atlantic turn north just as they reach sight of the FL coast. Andrew formed a little farther north and followed the prevailing currents due west straight onto land on the SE coast of FL. The only that can be said right now is that storms like this can't really be predicted because each one takes its own path, and until it is only a day or 2 away no one knows what it's going to do.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
We're squeezing the sphincter pretty tight again, but I think it is going to do another Floyd, and head up the Gulf Stream. Almost always does. That's why NASA put the Space Center where it is; lowest probability point of impact. I have been here 21 years, and the worst we had was Erin, mostly from the amount of rain. Just a few broken branch tips on the oak tree from Floyd and Charley.

I need to get all the cardboard boxes and carpet off the floor at the project garage. The 428 is inland, so I am not too concerned about it. The '70 will have to stay in the garage if we have to evacuate (barrier island side, elevation is at least 17 feet!!!). Oh, well, that's what insurance is for.

Good luck all!

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im on just for a quickie . Been running my tail off all day . Went to harbor freight in melbourne this AM for tarps and they were wiped out . No plywood in cocoa/titusville , not much for anchors for attaching the wood I have . I have moved alot of stuff to my mother inlaws house . I am about to commence wrenching on the mustang . Tomorrow around noon it will be moving somewhere , may have a clamshell garage it can go to ... have not confirmed yet . We are leaving for Tampa , may send the wife and kids there tomorrow night . She has a family member over there with a huge house so we are OK .
The VAB won't be able to take the winds if they hit 150 without serious panel damage . The thing is constructed with a aluminum skin . The LCC can take it but my car won't fit in there :)
Worse case , I lose the Rustang and the work Ive done to it . Will set me back and break my Mustang spirit for a while .
Right now I have a house full of mementos that are more important and a family to worry about .
Anyway , I need to hit the suspension so maybe I'll check in again ..... who knows .

·
Registered
805 Posts
mr289mustang, just out of curiosity do you know a Todd Morris? He runs/ran? T&M Classics ont he other side of town. He lives in the Deer Run area. I was going to go into buisness with him while I lived there, haven't talked to him since I moved back to New Jersey.
I know the news likes to over dramatize everything but hurricanes are the one thing I would always take seriously, but I was more afraid of lightening, since Winter Park is the lightening captiol of Florida ::

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Well this mornings update...for those of you that have not evacuated.
The Hurricane looks as though it will make land fall in the area between Miami and the Cape. Traveling north from there skirting between Orlando and the Ne side of the cane coming thru Jax. Things to look at ..A high pressure ridge that is about level with the cape. This is going to take alot of wind out of the sails of this destruction ship. It "should" decrease from a cat 4 all the way down to a 1 and maybe a T.S condition once it passes the Cape.
The NWS is calling for 39 mph sustained winds in our area.
Which is not as bad as some Noreasters we get.
All this said....Mother nature will do what ever she wants.
So if your worried then make the discission....me I'll be at the beach..surf's up!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I'm hoping the Mustang gods look out for my car, as I cannot move it. It will be covered and padded in my garage while we evacuate to Brandon.

House is boarded up and we're leaving in the morning. I'll check in as soon as possible.

Later. :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts