Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 65 mustang with a top loader 4 speed with a hurst competition plus shifter that I rebuilt. And the problem that I’m having is the shifter won’t shift the gears, won’t move the gear levers, but if you go under the car, you can move the gear levers on the shifter and shift the gears but the top side of the shifter(where the shift lever mounts to) doesn’t move. So I can’t shift the gears with the lever but I can shift them on the bottom of the shifter. What’s goin on?

·
Premium Member
13,233 Posts
Did you get the shifter reassembled correctly? Can you shift through all of the positions with the shift rods disconnected?
Did you adjust the shift linkage? With the Ford shifters you loosen the nuts on the shift rods, put the shift levers on the transmission in neutral, put a pin through the shifter and then tighten the nuts. I assume Hurst has something similar.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assembled the shifter correctly, I followed a many professional videos on rebuilding one. But I’ll try disconnecting the rods and see if I can get through the “gears”. I may have adjusted it wrong but with what it’s doing, I don’t think that’s the case

·
VMF Ambassador
6,917 Posts
If you can move the shifter rods / Hurst gates on the bottom side without the knob moving topside, you've forgotten a pin in the shifter that ties the whole assembly together. It won't work because the handle isn't attached to anything.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts

·
VMF Ambassador
6,917 Posts
Yep, the video that GT289 posted is the one I used, and it shows how all of the parts work together very clearly.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,917 Posts
Those bushings are awesome - just put em in Jane a couple months back and they take a lot of slop out. But man the clips are a real PITA to put on, I only succeeded in getting one on before I gave up and just went with the stock Hurst ones for the rest. Couldn't be bothered!

·
VMF Ambassador
6,917 Posts
Believe me when I say... no they do not :LOL: They should, but the problem is that you need to compress the springs a lot and the thickness of the pliers butted up against the gate works against you.

They are great for making the springs slip free and go arrowing right into your eyeball, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts