Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I contacted Hurst to try to get a blow up diagram of their Competition Plus shifter I have on my toploader and was told it was propriatary. They don't want owners to have it! The person I spoke with ranted about the tolerances that nobody but their technicians could get right! What a crock.... These are made out of stamped steel with spring steel divider plates. Why do they try to portray it as rocket science. It's a modern day stone axe which is why they stand the abuse most of them get. What a change in attitude from the old days when Hurst had a trailer at many of the tracks and would help owners with free repairs and adjustments. This fellow insisted the only way the shifter would ever stand a chance of working properly again was for me to send it in for a $180 rebuild by their experts. That isn't going to happen. The shifter worked fine but I want to clean it and lube it before installing it back on the same car I have been restoring.

I used the search feature and couldn't find one on this board. Does anyone have a diagram of the internals on this shifter? If not I'll take pictures of the rebuild for the next one who needs the info.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Sorry I didn't take any pic's when I pulled mine apart.
It was so stiff it was a pain to change gears, So I pulled it apart and layed out the pieces on the workbench as they came off.
Cleaned and lube the assy and put it back togeather and went thru the adjustments for the stops and it works perfectly now.
Pay 180.00 for what took less than one hour!......:bs:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well. it only took an hour and change and after a little time in the blaster cabinet , then the wire wheel it is back together and is 100% and mounted on the transmission. I have pictures if anyone wants to save some $185+ and clean and rebuild their Hurst shifter. Contact me with an e-mail and I will send you pics. Glad to assist anyone doing this.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually I look up what "new" costs before running my fingers into the wire wheel a few times. If you add up the cost of the shifter, the cost of the "install kit" and then the knob and assuming you don't need to buy the shifter lever (most Mustang levers are welded due to the offset) you arrive at a new replacement cost of something just shy of $500 by the time you pay for shipping. I remember back in the old days when a couple of hundred took you all the way. Service was free at the drag race tracks when the Hurst trailer and Linda Vaughn showed up back in the day.
Certainly some venders have sales from time to time but I figure I can spend an hour or two rather than spend $185.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I just did this too..not a bad job. About as easy (or difficult) as servicing a factory shifter. Like mentioned above, it aint rocket science.

I used this excellent write-up Servicing A Hurst Shifter - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum as a resource.
And theres a video on YouTube Ford Falcon 4 Speed Times: Hurst Shifter Rebuild Video | MyRideisMe.com

Funny thing...I took notes when I disassembled the shifter. When I went to re-assemble it turns out my notes were WRONG haha. So I found these write-ups.
Joe

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
Well, the cost of a new Hurst™ Competition Plus™ shifter is about $250, the same as a like-new rebuilt original Ford shifter. So I guess if you had a beat-up Hurst, it'd be cheaper to have it rebuilt. I'm old enough to remember when Hurst would do this for free. Bad business practice, I guess that's how they ended being bought by Mr Gasket, their lower-quality competitor.

I have used their services to get 70-73 Ford Factory Hurst shifters rebuilt, and the work is excellent. For earlier cars, I ditched my Hurst and went back to the Ford shifter years ago. Never been sorry. They work very well when properly assembled. 99% of the problems I have seen with them are attributable to "0" maintenance for decades, or bogus repairs done by some teenager.

·
Registered
9,214 Posts
I like they way the Hurst shifters stick between gears....
We'd use the Long Machine & Tool shifters whenever we could when
I was at JBA in the late 80's....the Hurst operating performance was
that bad.

This is the only exploded view diagram I've ever seen for the Hurst.
It's the whole assembly, not just the shifter. I don't doubt that
one of just the shifter mechanism would be considered "proprietary"
by those knuckleheads and not available to the public.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts