Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a "parts store" backup light switch that will work with a Comp. Plus shifter?

(Please don't tell me to ask the guy at the parts store or look in the catalog /forums/images/icons/wink.gif)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
i used a hurst shifter knob with the toggle switch built in for my horn and back-up lights....... ok i really didn't answer your question art...just thought i'd share the idea..... :0)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The back-up switch for '70 Mustangs with the hurst set-up work. Try asking about a '70 Boss 302 or 428 Cobrajet 4spd.

Carl

Okay - I reread this, and maybe it will make more sense as: Ask the guy at the parts counter for a back-up switch for a '70 Mustang 4 spd, 302-4v or 428. They should have a cheapo switch for these cars, and it should work with a comp plus. I have the original Ford switch in a comp plus on mine, so . . .

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Click here to go to David Kee's web site and the page where he shows the aftermarket switch. It will not work with an original Ford Hurst shifter. Only with an aftermarket unit.
If you are using an original factory Ford shifter and have no switch then change the backing plate to an aftermarket plate and the aftermarket switch will work with it.
You might find this switch locally but most places that handled Hurst parts have quit stocking them. Hope this info helps.
[email protected]

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply Mark,

I have the flat bracket that came with my shifter, in the exploded, the switch is described as "stock switch"???
No way will a stock 65-68 switch work... I'm gonna try a replacement switch for a 70 Mustang as Chpierce suggested.
I've used Hurst Comp. Plus shifters before, this is the first time I've tried to make the B.U. lites work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts