Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent post someone said they would stay away from a HV oil pump becuase it would "suck the oil pump dry". I have a 289 with 351 ported heads and mild cam and am running a high volume pump. I have had no noticble problems in 2000 miles. Is this something I should be worried about?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Unless you run the motor at like 7K rpms constantly you shouldn't have to worry about sucking the pan dry but one thing you might worry about is the drive gear on the distributor, I've seen two cases where the extra torque needed to turn the oil pump caused the gear on the distributor and cam to get chewed up ::

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I have run high volume oil pumps for 30+ yrs with no problems

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
You shouldn't worry.

"High Volume" should not be confused with "High Pressure"

A "High Volume" pump does not create more pressure (thus more flow) than a "standard volume" pump. It takes this additional pressure to force more oil to the top at a rate high enough where it can't return to the pan fast enough.

A high volume pump is only usefull when running larger than stock clearances in your motor so that the "higher volume" can fill those increased clearances a a rate high enough to create adequate pressure.

IMHO the majority of High volume oil pump installations do two things...

1) Waste horsepower as the majority of the oil is bypassed out the pressure regulator in the pump and back into the pan never making it into the bearings and oil gallerys.

2) Overloading the distributor drive gear and causing it to fail early.

you should not worry though... unless your primarily running a drag car making real big horsepower and turning big rpm.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
In a recent post someone said they would stay away from a HV oil pump becuase it would "suck the oil pump dry". I have a 289 with 351 ported heads and mild cam and am running a high volume pump. I have had no noticble problems in 2000 miles. Is this something I should be worried about?
What are your main and rod clearances? Do you have a restrictor kit installed? What is your oil pressure (hot @ cruise)? Big clearances and a lack of restrictors are good reasons for a HV pump in a performance engine. IMO, it won't hurt to run one in a stock situation, although it isn't really necessary. If your oil pressure consistently exceeds 65-70 psi, then just run synthetic.

My experience has been similar to that of SuperCJ. It is "very unlikely" that you'll ever suck a pan dry with any oil pump, unless the oiling/control system is grossly mismatched to the application.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have run them in the Clevelands I build, as well as every small-block Chevrolet. Have had no problems either way. BTW, no bearing failure either.
------------------------------------------------
1972 Mach 1 351CJ-C6-9" 4.11 Detroit Locker
1978 Corvette L-82

1 - 6 of 6 Posts