Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I shot my BC/CC in the trunk today.

The gun still blows a little air all the time, but less than before now that I know how the gun adjustment works.

The air cap still drips. I don't think that this is a leak. I think that paint collects on the horn and accumulates enough to drip. It collects enough the I cannot make a single stroke without the possibility of a drip. It builds up more when the gun is upright than when the gun is pointed down. Basically, for some reason, the gun does not atomize the paint enough to keep it off the air cap.

Hey, its just the trunk interior of the car. It looks good enough.

But now I need to get a new gun to continue jamb painting and priming the car.

How about some suggestions. Should I go with a detail gun since the important work is just details? HVLP is required. I think I would like a gravity feed gun. What brands are good. I would like something fiscally efficient. Not cheap, but no Cadillac just for the sake of it.

In my other hobby, woodworking, a detail gun is more appropriate, so one gun would suffice.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How many CFM's does your compressor put out at 40psi?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I find that I have to run at 60 psi at the regulator to get 10 psi at the air cap. I measured air cap pressure by buing an inexpensive vacuum/fuel pressure gauge and putting a T into the line to the cup. I have read that 10 psi at the cap which is what you want for HVLP. On this gun, there is an adjustable poppet valve that regulates the 10 psi. You can feel the air from the poppet, so I know its opening.

As far as the compressor goes. Since its just the trunk, the compressor does not have to work really hard. I spray a bit, wait for the fumes to clear and spray again. I never get the compressor down to 60 psi, so I figure I'm OK. Its a Cambell Housfield oilless 5 gallon compressor, so the CFM's are not too high. You couldn't do a car with this compressor.

I have an inline water separator and 50 feet of 3/8 line with AMFLO 3/8 QD's, so I should have reasonable line losses.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The HVLP(High Volume Low Pressure) guns do need alot of CFM's(volume) to atomize the paint this is your problem, you will not be able to use that compressor w/an HVLP gun. The smallest guns need 11 cfm to properly atomize the paint.You should also use 1/2" air hose at a minimum so as to allow this volume of air 3/8 is too restrictive, the amflo qd's are also too restrictive for HVLP.
For priming just get yourself a decent conventional gun w/an air cap rated at 40psi 4-5 cfm you will be very happy with the performance. I have even used mine for touch up color work
(lower fender etc.) and was quite pleased with the final finish

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have a harbor freight gun also. It is the best spray gun I have ever used. My problem is that it doesn't move enough paint to do a whole car (have to do a lot of extra work). It is the one they show rated #1 for woodworking. Same deal, 60lbs to get 10. Nice pattern and goes on heavy, just not really wide. Funny thing is it is hard to get a run with this ( high pressure it easy). On a trunk lid, I could cover it and not really have over spray in the air to deal with. I think if you get the gun working right you will not have any problems doing small stuff. I painted the green (in picture) Falcon myself with my cheapo gun. Came out really good.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only want to buy a gun one more time. In California, I have to use a HVLP gun if I rent a paint booth. HVLP also gives more coverage efficiency, which does matter as it goes to cost of supplies. I have heard that using 3/8 hose should be fine. The booth that I would rent if I paint my whole car is set up with standard size hose. Many people seem to get good results. I agree that my compressor cannot keep up with continuous flow, I'm not drawing it down very much while spraying a few strokes. In that light, its just a pressure vessel and one's as good as another. When paintingthe trunk, by the time I've fogged up enough stuff to wait for the mist to clear, the compresor is just kicking on, which is about 90 psi. Since I'm running the regulator at 60 psi, I should have enough capacity.

Neil: Yep, thats the gun. SInce it seems to be leaking air, I think its toast. The seal looks to be in good shape, but it doesn't seal. Its a hard plastic. Maybe its the seat, its alominum. I doubt I can get repair parts. I would be better served by putting the money in a better gun. Wanna buy a parts gun?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I used a url=http://www.eastwoodco.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe]DevillBliss Finish line Gravity feed HVLP gun from Eastwood[/url]. Not too expensive (in the range of HVLP guns) parts are available, and it is super easy to use (even with my 5.5hp Oilless compressor).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts