Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could use some assistance bleeding the hydraulic clutch on the JMC kit I installed over the weekend. What techniques are others using? I have bled many brakes and clutches in the past but this one seems to elude me. TIA.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Bench bleed the master. Hook everything up and gravity bleed through to the slave.

If the fluid does not flow at first start at the top and crack the individual connections, one at a time, until you have fluid running from them. Seal them back up and move to the next lower one to repeat the process.

You will eventually get fluid out the slave and can then just gravity bleed the entire system. You should not pump the pedal during anything but the bench bleeding.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What kind of problems are you having bleeding the clutch? What parts specifically did you install from JMC? If you installed CNC cylinders and slave I have also had some difficulty bleeding those parts. PM me or repost with more specific info. On my site you can see I am using all CNC pedals, cylinders, and reservoirs.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,492 Posts
Last year I ran into a clutch that just wouldn't bleed. I got a BIG syringe from the local vet (something to do with horses I think), filled it with fluid and fitted it with a small hose on the end. I opened the bleeder on the slave cylinder and put the hose on it. I then forced fluid backwards through the system while SWMBO watched the resevoir. After 3 hours of screwing around, this worked.
Since then I finally broke down and bought a MityVac pump in case this happens again. Always wanted a MityVac anyway.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have not done this myself but I was told by a mechanic whom I trust to bleed the clutch system backwards. He said an easy way to do that is to connect a hose from the brake hydraulic system at the wheel to the slave cylinder. Then pump the brakes to bleed the clutch hydraulics. Seemed reasonable.

Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts