Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting my "design" for installing a hydraulic clutch on my 68. I'd like to get the master and slave cylinders from a junk yard (or at least get the used ones for trial fitting purposes, etc). Anyone know of any cars off hand that have stock hydraulic clutch systems? Someone mentioned that perhaps the old "Fieros" had them. I'd like to hit the yards this weekend, and checking hundreds of cars would suck. Help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Thespazardman

·
Registered
537 Posts
I just put a motor and trans in my friends probe. While i was in there I noticed the car had a 15/16" bore MC and a VERY COMPACT Booster, connected to it was the clutch MC and that went down to the clutch cylinder. There was an extra clutch cylinder on the new trans so i took it off and put it in my pile of parts. It looks like it would work fine with a bracket to mount it the the belhousing. It would be cool if you could take everything off the probe and convert it to work on a stang, mabey im dreaming. But, its at least a place to start. Oh yeah, it was a 94' Probe GT 2.5l V6

Goodluck and let me know how things go,
Jason

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
i believe 87-88 turbo coupes had them... and they might even be T5 trannies too, but i dont know the details. Im into the auto trannies right now.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have been to numerous junkyards on my quest for an affordable hydraulic clutch. The key to the setup is the slave cylinder. You need to find one that is compact enough to clear the exhaust and still has enough throw. I looked at lots of fords and then stumbled onto the imports. I ended up with a setup from a Toyota Tercel. The reason I choose that one is the master cylinder is really compact with a remote resevoir. The slave cylinder is okay. http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_b1ba648d541d392bd73c43c1ca5afef8/i-1.JPG

I think it is a little too large for my application. I am running hedman shorties 88400 on a 289 with a t-10. The shorties are designed for C-4 autos so they are kinda tight to the bellhousing. I have been looking on the E-Hay for slave cylinders that are more compact. The Nissans slave
http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_d8b9dcc1c0b53e39a8988165a6bfcb32/i-1.JPG
appears to fit that bill. I will have to head out to the bone yard and do some more looking. Since I will be swapping in a T-5 later with late model bellhousing I was looking to get just on setup and then be able to use with both trannys. Would you be able to measure the distance that the clutch fork travels? I just need a ball park dimension so that I can use some geometry to figure out where that slave needs to be postioned on the clutch fork to get enough throw.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,853 Posts
Since you don't want to blaze a trail, you might want to check out what Daveoxide did. I'm sure he won't mind a link to his website. His Fiero setup is less than perfect but works well. It's given me some ideas.
http://home.attbi.com/~dciab/trans.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts