Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
Cons? Not many I don't think, I'm doing it after weighing the different options. The cable types can/will require more adjustments than some would prefer, seems they stretch a bit. The factory stock stuff is good, albeit requiring more leg effort I suppose, and many reports of various interference issues with the Z bars/other things, most notably headers. Hydraulics get overall good reviews, but some have firewall issues, soundness of it for one thing, and where it needs to be located can be a challenge space-wise. I found many very favorable reviews for them regardless. Smoothness, easy effort, and modern feel are some common descriptions I found.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
did you guys use with the hyd bearing or without ?
I prefer an external slave cylinder, they are much easier to set up and won't oil down the clutch in the event of failure. But for my current build I'm using a Tilton hyd TOB, mainly because that's what MDL recommends, and if not using a hyd TOB, the clutch release arm would exit the bell at a weird position with the Quick Time bell. With a hyd TOB, you must use a pedal stop to prevent over extending the TOB, and oiling down the clutch. There have been a couple of posts on here dealing with a clutch pedal stop.

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
Well, just for fun, I prefer the stone-stock clutch linkage. Simple, reliable, uses existing holes, uses stock repair parts if ever needed (which is rarely, when maintained).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, just for fun, I prefer the stone-stock clutch linkage. Simple, reliable, uses existing holes, uses stock repair parts if ever needed (which is rarely, when maintained).
Me too. Except on mine I added hiem joints on the ends of the clutch rods and Mustang Steve's clutch pedal bearing kit... really slicked things up!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have a MDL internal Tilton TOB on my Astro A5 build, it has had very little mileage so far but what it has had has been pretty rough (autox) and it has worked well. Need to play with the adjustment to get the pedal up a touch higher, and still playing with the bleeding a bit, but definitely far smoother than the stock linkage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts