Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone is running a combination of hydraulic clutch and power assist brakes?

Currently, I have dual Res manual brakes with a cable clutch. I'm not really happy with this set up for daily driving. I've already snapped one cable and I'm timid about breaking another. Granted, the cable snapping was due to where I like the clutch to engage and due to how I shift. Regardless, I'm looking at going with an hydraulic TO bearing this time around, though may still do an external slave cylinder.

But, ever since I upgraded to disc brakes, I've been unhappy with the feel. Sure, the thing stops on a dime and can stop faster than my volvos can. But, due to the fact my commute has changed from a 90% highway or no stop drive to a drive that is 50% stop and go, and that fact I'm getting old (and feeling more like midlife looked 30 years ago) I want to go with some power brakes.

I was just worried about clearances between the parts.

Now, to add to it all, I'm working on a custom MPFI system for my car that will also eventually receive power from a supercharger. So I think at that point, my options for power brakes become rather limited.

I was looking at abspowerbrakes.com at their electric power brakes. Looked promising, but couldn't find a lot of people who installed them. The prices didn't seem bad.

Anyone have good working combinations that I can look at?

·
Registered
900 Posts
i did hydroboost conversion in a 65 vert.. pics in link.. i dont believe anyone else has done a 65-66 ..

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I understand the Mustang Steve power brake conversion work well with the Modern Driveline clutch system.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I understand the Mustang Steve power brake conversion work well with the Modern Driveline clutch system.
Actually it won't. At least on a 65. The brake booster hits the clutch master cylinder.

As a result I had to convert back to manual brakes and I'm selling my Mustang Steve pedal/booster/cable clutch kit.

-Shannon

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Actually it won't. At least on a 65. The brake booster hits the clutch master cylinder.

As a result I had to convert back to manual brakes and I'm selling my Mustang Steve pedal/booster/cable clutch kit.

-Shannon
I am soooooo glad you posted. I was about to go this route. Someone here has a set up like this, I'll start searching my old posts to see what I can find and follow up.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good info. it looks more like I'll end up going with the abspowerbrakes system (electric booster) and will probably piece together an hydraulic clutch using a CNC master cylinder with an offset pushrod.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If you could find a clutch master cylinder that was mounted on the inside of the firewall, then you'd be good.

I was so pissed when I tried to test fit everything on the 65.. so I had to make a choice: Power brakes or hydraulic clutch. Since I've got a really nice set of 4 wheel discs, I decided to side with the nice clutch. I did a lot of research and opted for a 1" master cylinder. From what I've read, it should give a pretty good pedal.

-Shannon

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If you could find a clutch master cylinder that was mounted on the inside of the firewall, then you'd be good.

-Shannon
I fabricated some mounts on the pedal assembly and used an 06 GT master cylinder. I can send pics with measurements if you're interested. It has worked well for 11K miles with no problems (except it's pretty stiff with a Centerforce pressure plate).

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I'm using the factory 70 booster/MC and the Modern Driveline LF Clutch Master Cylinder setup. No problems with clearances at all!
I think the problem is that the MustangSteve booster has a larger diameter than the factory stuff... it also mounts directly on the firewall with no spacer.... If the MustangSteve booster had a 2" firewall spacer with it, there would be no issue.

-Shannon

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think the problem is that the MustangSteve booster has a larger diameter than the factory stuff... it also mounts directly on the firewall with no spacer.... If the MustangSteve booster had a 2" firewall spacer with it, there would be no issue.

-Shannon
If you use a smaller diameter booster like from a 5.0 mustang it fits with the LF hydraulic clutch setup.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Here's another option for a hydroboost. It's designed to be installed in a FFR Cobra, but probably can be used in any car.
Fast Freddie's Fabrications - Fast Freddie's EHPS Kit

I think I would stay away from a HYD throwout bearing. I've seen too many of them come apart and oil down the clutch. Plus if it needs any maintenance, the transmission has to come out. A slave cylinder is a much simpler solution.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I believe the best and proven route is to use a hydroboost unit for the brakes and this will allow you to use the conventional hydraulic clutch kit available at most vendors. Until someone fabricates a tried and true (and available) under dash hydraulic clutch, you will be limited to a hydroboost unit (you'll need power steering).

I cannot speak of the electric unit.

For Hydroboost units for the 65-66 Mustang contact

Welcome to Hydratech Braking Systems :: High Performance Hydraulic Brake Assist Systems

Paul will get back to you. He is very thorough.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I like this GM kit for Camaro's. The kit is on ebay for around $100 complete.

BTW, I have the RRS underdash kit on my 65. Do not like!

The one pictured is pre-bled. Little fab work on pedal and bell = Bingo!

http://www.clutchcityonline.com/products/PS0427.shtml

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
I like this GM kit for Camaro's. The kit is on ebay for around $100 complete.

BTW, I have the RRS underdash kit on my 65. Do not like!

The one pictured is pre-bled. Little fab work on pedal and bell = Bingo!
I looked at the Camaro/Firebird clutch master and the mounting flange is at about a 45* angle. One thing I didn't like was that both master, slave and pressure line are all made of plastic. McLeod and ATS make metal masters but they cost 3 times as much as a an OE. Here's how much angle and the bracket needed if you mount it on a vertical firewall.

·
Registered
900 Posts
does hydratech make a 65 kit? couldnt find a part # - i tried to "contact us" for a month or so last year to no avail.. most dealers only knew what they carried-- ie chevy or bronco etc..

not one mustang dealer.. i gave up on them and did my own.

the freddies link is a hydro steering not brakes..

and i dont see why you would "need" PS with the hydroboost.. you need the pump but would the pressure be too much without the rack to go thru? the hydroboost gets fed first from the pump so i would think you could just run without a power steering setup

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I looked at the Camaro/Firebird clutch master and the mounting flange is at about a 45* angle. One thing I didn't like was that both master, slave and pressure line are all made of plastic. McLeod and ATS make metal masters but they cost 3 times as much as a an OE. Here's how much angle and the bracket needed if you mount it on a vertical firewall.

Nice pic.

I suggested the kit because of the angle. This should offer space to clear a power brake booster.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
and i dont see why you would "need" PS with the hydroboost.. you need the pump but would the pressure be too much without the rack to go thru? the hydroboost gets fed first from the pump so i would think you could just run without a power steering setup
You would have to tee in the line that exits the booster and would typically goto the rack inlet with the booster return line. So basically one inlet to the booster and two outlets teed together. It would work. It wouldn't require the same GPM flow that a rack would need.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts