Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am still trying to adapt a '87 5.0 steering pump to my '69, I'm looking for an adapter--basically a double male union that would screw into the '69 hose from the steering ram and allow the single-flare line from the late-model hose to screw to it.

Can anyone tell me where I may be able to find such a piece? Do AN threads match up to the threads on our hydraulics? If so, how to those AN #'s measure (is AN-4 a 4mm, etc.)?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
646 Posts
I ran into this same problem with my '68 two days ago. You can find the part you need at your local hardware store most likely. I found mine at Ace. Should be in the plumbing section.

Good luck,

Jeff

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have dealt with this problem and oil coolers. Hydraulic fittings are usually NPT threaded. Lots of selection at the local Northern Tool Co. also check your local yellow pages under hydraulic.....

·
Registered
228 Posts
As a general rule for hydraulic components -4 means that it is a 1/4 inch component. The number after the dash is the size expressed in 16ths of an inch: -4 = .25, -6 = .375, -8 = .5, etc... This isn't the thread designation but rather the nominal ID of the component. The threads can be NPT, SAE O-Ring, BSPP, and several others. Hope this helps

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I was looking in the summit catalog at flare unions and they don't specify threads, just an-4, -6, etc. http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/aer-fcm2055.jpg

Just trying to acrew some knowledge about this stuff. I guess it'd be best if I could find a local place to try out the fitting sizes, and find the right one

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
A possibly easier route would be to take the OEM hose for the 69 and the late model hose to your local hydraulic supplier and have them make a custom hose.

To clarify, you're adapting the pressure hose from the power steering pump to the control valve unit, yes? Isn't the fitting on the control valve an inverted flare SAE fitting? I'm guessing the hose would be #6 SAE inverted to #6 JIC female (at the OEM pump). Does that sound right? Get me a thread major OD/minor ID on the fittings and maybe I can narrow it down. Pictures are always helpful.

If my D-coder was at home I could measure everything up but it's at my moms. I have fitting books since I work on hydraulics every day.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks cam. I'll post some pics shortly and that should help explain. My '69 hose is a 2 piece hose that unscrews in the middle so I'm looking to connect to the lower part of the hose, not to the actual steering ram itself, which probably has a singe flare attachment.

Now I need to post those pics...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check this out...this is a pic of the hose end coming from the '69 pump. http://mywpages.comcast.net/copydoc351/images/p-s_hose1_2.jpg

I need to match this fitting to adapt late-model pump to old steering ram

1 - 8 of 8 Posts