·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hello all

Looks like Mustangs Unlimited is out of the kit to replace the torsion bars with modern hydraulic struts. Looking at the kit it seems pretty easy to replicate. Does anyone know what length struts I would need?

-Beau

Trunk Lift Kit 1967-1968 Mustang Coupe & Convertible | Torsion Rods & Trunk Lift Kits | Trunk Lids & Related | Body | Mustang | MustangsUnlimited.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVJvLmdObps
Looks to be about a foot long...but I dont know...you could vary the mounting point to some degree to adjust for length. Out of curiosity though...why do it? I mean...every single trunk or hatch strut I have ever had has failed in less than 8 years...never had the vintage mustang system fail on me to date...one of those things that they really dont build them like they used to.

·
Administrator
19,311 Posts
Torsion bars definitely have their upsides. They about last forever. They don't get in the way of accessing the trunk from any which way. They're pretty light. Out of the way, need no attention, not overly heavy, if it ain't broke...

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They will be in my way with the "upgrades" I have planned.

:) :)

I'll do some more measuring, I MAY be able to work around them.

·
Administrator
19,311 Posts
There always the overkill "upgrade" option. Use a fiberglass decklid and then just use a smallish prop rod. :)

I've nothing against the shocks really but custom implementations can be a pain to figure. I've got a custom car book somewhere with a page full of formulae and such to try and figure out what off-the-shelf shocks you can use. I tried that and it got me nothing but a headache. What got me somewhere was junkyard browsing. Should you wish to use that method, my very first stop would be the hood of a 2001 Expedition or F150. Even though their hoods are much longer, they are aluminum and lighter. The pivot mounts can be an issue. I've had luck with the threaded style often found on the rear gates and lift glasses of Asian SUV's. Gate shocks are massive overkill but some lift glass shocks are stronger than you might think and have potential. I've repurposed a couple of those.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Ring Bros has them, if you have deep pockets.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I built my car ten years ago. I don't know why, but I chose to go this route, too. I guess I preferred the smoother action. The factory spring throws the deck lid up rather abruptly and bounces at the top. I went with a kit from Aeroform. I don't know if they even offer it any more. I do remember that it included a template for locating the hole on the hinge arm. I also trimmed some material off the arm (but I don't know that it was required - just looked better). It still works as well today as the day I installed it. I do worry about finding replacement struts when these do fade.

That strut puts considerable upward force on the hinge. I had my deck lid perfectly aligned until I installed them. I had to redo the hinge adjustments with them on there.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I installed the Ring Bros hinges on my '65. I love them and the trunk and weatherstrip fit/align better then ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts