Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Hydroboost low pressure hose barb - other options?

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  indyphil 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of installing a hydroboost unit off an early 2000s 4.6 onto my 68 BB 4sp car. The hydroboost is the metric one. My issue is with the low pressure outlet hose barb, it's likely too close to my Z-bar. My car has a Quicktime bellhousing, twin disc clutch and REF headers so the Z-bar may not be index as usual. Is the hose barb also acting as a flow restrictor? If not I would like to put an AN adapter fitting with an elbow there instead but can't tell what the thread is. Thinking it's 6mm but the pitch is not like anything I have to try in there. Any ideas? Thanks

#3 ·
I have a a couple of Hydtratech hydro boost units. I understand you have an OEM unit so it may be different, but I'm pretty sure they are all made by Bosch. I removed the barb fitting and went with an AN 6 fitting. I would recommend reaching out to Hydtratech Braking as they are the experts.

#5 ·
Mine came out of a Cobra. My barb had left hand threads. As was stated elsewhere, they're small and into aluminum, so I promptly stripped them out trying to remove it (assuming they were RH threads). I drilled and tapped for 1/8" pipe threads and bought a right angle pipe/barb fitting. This right angle was necessary to clear my hood hinge.

I read later that some have left hand threads and some have right hand threads...

#7 ·
for the record there is definitely no restrictor in the return line, in fact you want to minimize any restriction in the return line. I added a filter to my system because they say the braking system is sensitive to particles. The filter went on the return side of my steering rack so it didnt add restriction to the return of the booster (which is T'd in downstream closer to the pump return), the steering rack can handle a little backpressure.

#10 ·
That filter has a 100 micron element. It's basically a course filter. Newer cars have a filter where the return enters the reservoir. A fuel pickup "sock" is a 100 micron filter. There's little resistance in a 100 micron filter. Often these filters can be cleaned with brake cleaner, but it shouldn't need to be done very often.

#11 ·
  1. Right I think it's probably over cautious to worry about filter location with it being such a free flowing filter. I doubt its catching much, I havnt checked it yet. It's possible the pump pressure makes a difference too. Mine is a GM pump with lots of pressure I dont know if that matters when it comes to return "backpressure".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.