Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of running a hydroboost set up but without the power steering as i an now going electric.
Can anyone tell me how to run the lines from the from the pump but bypassing the power steering box.
I've attach a schematic of how it would be done with the power steering box.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If i blank off the high pressure line from the boost to the steering box do i then blank off or lose a low pressure to the reservoir from the steering box.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If I were going epas I would consider getting a rotary vacuum pump instead of hydro boost.
You’re spending the $ anyway, why not ditch the hydraulics entirely.
I always hated the power steering pump noise, leaks, etc.

If you are the DIY type you could do it much cheaper with this, a vacuum switch, a relay, and check valve:

The master power brakes one claims to be rated for use without the engine. I’m considering getting the pump only (Hella) and putting it under the wheel well in place of the factory vacuum canister and hooking it inline with the engine (hence the check valve.). That way the engine will do what it can ~10” at idle and the pump will take it up to 20” or so.

You would also have fully assisted power brakes even if the engine is off with this.
Of course it assumes you can fit a vacuum booster on with your engine setup... heck if you already have the booster, it’s $ saved vs hydroboost.

To me ditching the hydraulics is worth it even if it cost more...
Steve

·
Registered
383 Posts
I do not see why you could not remove and plug both the pressure and returns lines to the steering gear. You could find out for sure if you could see the internal routing hydraulic schematic of the hydroboost. The big question is if the pressure line to the steering gear were plugged what effect would that have on the pressure to the brake booster. If the steering gear bleeds off some of the pressure in the system eliminating it could increase the boosters pressure and make the brakes over sensitive. If you could eliminate the steering pressure hose then you would have no need at all for the steering return hose.

It seems like a lot of work instead of just a regular old vacuum booster. I don't think the difference in pedal pressure would be worth it. Unless for some reason you needed the extra space or you had a low vacuum producing engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys I dont have the room to fit a boost, my valve covers are to tall, so i go manual or hydroboost

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I were going epas I would consider getting a rotary vacuum pump instead of hydro boost.
You’re spending the $ anyway, why not ditch the hydraulics entirely.
I always hated the power steering pump noise, leaks, etc.

If you are the DIY type you could do it much cheaper with this, a vacuum switch, a relay, and check valve:

The master power brakes one claims to be rated for use without the engine. I’m considering getting the pump only (Hella) and putting it under the wheel well in place of the factory vacuum canister and hooking it inline with the engine (hence the check valve.). That way the engine will do what it can ~10” at idle and the pump will take it up to 20” or so.

You would also have fully assisted power brakes even if the engine is off with this.
Of course it assumes you can fit a vacuum booster on with your engine setup... heck if you already have the booster, it’s $ saved vs hydroboost.

To me ditching the hydraulics is worth it even if it cost more...
Steve
Thank you for posting these unfortunately I dont have a boost on the car theres no room.:(

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,290 Posts
I LOVE hydro boost brakes, but on these cars I'd run manual, can you fit a hydrobooster on it with the shock tower in the way?

But to answer your question, you just need to cap the HP line from the booster to the box and the return from the steering to the reservoir.

Reactions: spogshd

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, eliminate the green line from the box to the reservoir and take the red line that goes to the box from the brake assist and go directly to the reservoir( the red line is now a low pressure return).
You could connect the 2 lines after you take them out of the box, just another place that could leak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts