Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took 3 short videos to show you my issue. I have no idea how to verbally explain it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm just guessing, but I think your problem is at the other end of your steering shaft. Check out where it goes into the steering box and look for something obviously wrong.

Maybe have someone pull on it from the driver's seat while you're under the hood.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would have a buddy/family member shine a flashlight down at your rag joint/universal joint that connect the steering shaft to the steering box. My guess is that something there came loose or fell off.

Ken

·
Registered
991 Posts
I would have a buddy/family member shine a flashlight down at your rag joint/universal joint that connect the steering shaft to the steering box. My guess is that something there came loose or fell off.

Ken
No rag joint in until late 67 unless the box has been changed out.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The gap is the same as before which is not right. Try moving the outer column up to close the gap.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Was that steering shaft integral to the steering box on a 65? It is on a 66, meaning it is part of the steering box and you should NOT be able to pull on the shaft? Do you have a factory steering box? Even if someone has changed it out for a Borg box, the steering shaft should be tight into a rag joint or universal joint. You should not be able to pull on the shaft like that.

Just remember that the shaft and the steering box is a set distance. loosening the two bolts that hold the steering column and sliding the column in or out will change the gap between the wheel and the column. Best thing to do is put the wheel on, loosen the bolts and move the column to get the correct gap.

Something is wrong with your set up. Pics of the steering box would help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the help. I’ll come here from now on. I was expecting replies until at least tomorrow. I’m getting ready to pull the motor out and replace. This will be an easy fix

·
Registered
255 Posts
FYI that’s kind of a known issue with the borgeson power steering kit. I ripped my first rag joint similarly a few years back. If you’re going to keep it and just replace the rag joint, try this coupler from mustang Steve:

It helps alleviate the upward pressure felt by the rag joint so it doesn’t wear out so quickly and as an added bonus it also helps keep the steering column from moving and creating the annoying gaps between the steering wheel.

·
Registered
36,682 Posts
That's a Borgeson conversion. They have a lousy design for the lower end of the column. The only real and safe fix is to install a bearing at the lower end. The Mustang barn has done this conversion on countless cars. They even offered the info to Borgeson, who declined, because people are buying their kit as-is.

First thing to do is adjust the column higher up. That adjustment is achieved by loosening the U strap at the bottom edge of the dash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts