Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering 69-74 blocks or the 94-95 roller version. Leaning towards the 94-95. It’s a stockish build so I don’t really need any extra strength. I’m in southern ky but will travel some to pick up if anybody has one for sale. May be interested in a complete or partial engine also. Stock 4” bore a must. Let me know if you have one available.....Jeff

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Depending on how far you want to go, I've probably got a few.. Eastern Iowa

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,530 Posts
Thank you for the offer gt350sr but it’s over 700 miles away.
Its worth the drive to see his collection.....

But seriously, no need to look for an early block, the 351w is a stout platform. Find a roller if possible itll save you some cash if you intend to go roller, and I love the one piece rear main.

Reactions: GT350HR and gt350sr

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Southern KY by his post.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
What are you willing to pay for an all original, never apart 351 4v windsor out of a 1969? No flexplate, complete from the real of the engine to the front factory clutch fan. Was out of an air car so all of the air stuff is still attached, as is all the pulleys, alternator, belts, etc. The distributor is still in it and the coil is still bolted down in the stock location. intake and heads have never been off!
Sitting on my engine stand in California. Not frozen. It had a replacement Ford over the counter Holley on it, but it wasn't any good. I have blue automotive paper towels stuffer in the intake currently. No exhaust manifolds.
Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's my dilemma, do I build my 408 stroker out of this complete virgin 351w, or go with a Dart or other aftermarket block and sell this engine!! By the way, here a picture of the complete 351w!
I have already bought a really good set of edelbrock aluminum heads for around $1700.00!

I

·
Registered
783 Posts
Any production year 351w can handle up to 600hp. The 69/70's are the strongest due to the heavier castings to support the main bearings but the others are not too far behind. The roller blocks are considered the weakest, but will still support 600hp (especially with a max of a 4" stroke.)

You would only a Dart if you are planning on turning in excess of 7000 rpm's (especially with a 400+" stroker.) In that range that the factory blocks are prone to cap walk (which the Dart and other aftermarket blocks) solved by using 4 bolt main caps. Aftermarket blocks are are also needed by those who want to run a big bore pistons and should be considered mandatory for use of crankshafts with more than a 4.1" (for longevities sake.)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Considering 69-74 blocks or the 94-95 roller version. Leaning towards the 94-95. It’s a stockish build so I don’t really need any extra strength. I’m in southern ky but will travel some to pick up if anybody has one for sale. May be interested in a complete or partial engine also. Stock 4” bore a must. Let me know if you have one available.....Jeff
We have some short blocks or with heads . Located in NW Al. Thanks Jerry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts