Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one was all my fault and I put no blame on the officer for being ****y or anything but nice and polite (this time).

I decided to take the freeway over to the other side of town rather than driving all through town tonight to meet my friends at a restaurant after work. As I was barrelling (sp?) down the freeway at 90ish, I was keeping my eyes peeled for the local law enforcement. The traffic was pretty sparse, and there was a long stretch ahead of me. As I cruise rapidly down this open stretch of freeway I started to approach the pack of cars in front of me. Little did I know as I slowed down to the speed of the other cars the car directly in front of me was a CHP! He pulled into the other lane and then it hit me, "sh!t, boned". I saw the star on the door and it was christmas time in July. He was very nice, gave me a ticket for 88 in a 65, oh joy. He would have been nicer to lower it down some, but nooooo. He did say that it would be a bummer to see me wreck the car since I have been putting so much work into it.

And you want to know the ultimate kicker and the reason for me not recognizing it as a CHP, it was a friggin CAMARO! No markings on the back, and it had a tiny roof rack that substituted as a light bar, damn. So how many points on your record before you lose your liscense??

Another funny thing. My good friend got his first ticket today as well. Only he was doing 80 in a 65 and his city cop lowered it down to 75. If only I had his luck. And my other friend got his first ticket yesturday. Bad week for those of us who drive briskly /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You'll slow down one day. The real joy in having a fast car is knowing it and not having to prove anything. Just because you can does not mean you should.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Geez Dave, you should find an open track somewhere and then you can go as fast as you dare and wont get a ticket.
Hey! Why not move to Montana. You can drive as fast as the road conditions allow on the Interstate. lol

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
You got nailed, fair and square allright! Driving that far above the limit when there's little traffic around makes you a pretty easy target. Be careful -- and save those near-triple-digit runs for the middle of the desert!

You and your car may be up to the task, but there are other people out there who may get excited when passed by a car doing 90.

Like others mentioned, if you really have "the need for speed", hook up with some local car clubs who rent track time at a road course. Better to get it out of your system there, and save your driver's license.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I did received a ticket one time in my 92T-Bird with a 302 5.0 doing 105 in a 55 at 1:30am. There was no one one the freeway but me and one other guy. He cut me off on a four lane highway at 1:30am. I was pissed off at my girlfriend at the time and this guy just took my lid off. I let him get in front of me a few hundred feet and I just opened it up. I flew buy the guy driving the iroc at about 110. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw this cop coming down the entrance ramp. It was in November. Needless to say i had to get a loan to go Christmas shopping that year. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Dave, I've got to agree with the others. Going 90+ mph on local roads is a hazard to yourself and others. You never know what might happen: something on the road, pothole, sudden lane change ahead, etc. Also, did I mention that unless you have a roll cage and 5 point seatbelts, you are staring death in the face if you lose control in an old mustang. I have totaled a 65 coupe almost 20 years ago when I fell asleep at the wheel. The only reason I have on how I was able to walk away was a miracle took place.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Ouuch.... That one hurt. Twelve points in MI before they yank your licence. That one would have been 3 points maybe 4.
What you are going to pay for that ticket in fines let alone Insurance rates would pay for a bunch of track time.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
CHP use front AND rear facing radar detector's.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Dave,

Gotta start picking your time and place, like maybe over at Sears Point, perhaps? *G* You're lucky to have a world-class facility only a short drive from where you live. I used to tow 4 1/2 hours to get there and it was always worth the trip...great air and a sticky track.

There's are reason I've been driving perfomrance cars for 25 years and have never had a moving violation....actually two...1. when I was young, cops were more lenient....and I only opened it up at designated locations where we street raced, never on freeways or local city streets...
2. When I was older, like now *G*, after racing for years, I don't need to stick my foot in it and prove something to the guy next to me...I've already done that at the track time and time again. I just smile, when driving Renee's Acura or my D-coder, at the kids who rev up their engines and peel rubber next to me.....that's a smile which maturity brings, knowing there's a time and place for everything in life..

I hope to see that smile on your face soon...*G*

G

·
0 Posts
if you're gonna drive that fast you better get radar detecters. Got one front and
back on the service car, paid for themselves first month. But of course I don't
speed so they're just for fun.

·
Vendor
5,209 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
What a coincidence! I got an 80 in a 65 zone recently, but I was driving the Camaro and the CHP was driving a Ford. Those red lights even up the performance differential pretty quickly. I took the traffic school option to avoid points on my record. I don't know if you can do that for 23 mph over the speed limit though. The cop that bagged me told me that he was giving me a big break by "only writing me for 80" since the fines went up drastically over 15 mph above the limit (I was on cruise control at 80 so that was just a PR job on his part). And it's more expensive initially. You pay the amount of the fine plus $35 administrative fee to the county (to cover the "expense" of sending you the list of approved traffic schools in the pre-stamped and pre-addressed envelope you provide) and the fee to the school (typically between $15 and $25). You'll certainly pay more than that to your insurance company if you opt not to go to traffic school. I took it on-line and it took about four hours.

Good luck and stay off the throttle. Anything over about 75 is reckless.

G

·
0 Posts
Jeez, you guys should take a spin up or down highway 280 on the SFBay Peninsula. Nearly every car is going 85, and quite a few are doing 90 or more. During commute hours, it's a bit more congested, but even then the speed driven by the majority is often extreme.

If memory serves me, the CHP and police are restricted from using radar on this stretch of road for some reason, probably because of the Stanford radio telescope. That could be entirely apocryphal, though.

Of course, I always obey the posted limit /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
553 Posts
i agree with that, i drive I-75 back and forth to work and usually run 75mph. (what officer? oh i thought i was on I-65 and the speed limit was 75 /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif) if you drive the posted 65mph you get ran over. i always have people pass me like i'm standing still. i'm coming back from work at 3:30am so not much traffic, so i just tuck in behind a tractor trailer thats "loaded up an truckin" and roll on.

i got a ticket for 75 in a 55 when i was out of county visiting some friends. bam that was 6 points off my 12 point total. and $350 bucks. got that ticket the same week i turned in an essay for speeding that i got from another ticket, got the essay assignment cause i knew a girl who knew a guy who, so on and so on. still got hit with the points though, that was 3 points, so bam i'm at 9 now, 12 is the limit. got a nice letter from the Ky DOT, saying slow that mustang down because i was in danger of being revoked. good thing is that i was paying so much in insurance that it was ridiculous, they didnt raise my rates for some reason. gues they knew they were already sticking it to me. Allstate is not on my happy list, their premiums are really chaffing me, but that is a whole nother topic. i guess i've slowed down now, but my driving record just went clear last month so who knows /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Oh yeah, the 70 or so new CHP camaros don't have the tell tale signs of a CHP interceptor anymore.....

it is a rude awakening for people across the state....

I don't mess around on public HWYs anymore.....it is getting too crazy....

plead no contest and tell the judge you felt the need for speed!!!

and go to traffic school
www.ticketerasers.com

sorry to hear you got nabbed buddy!!!!

THE camaros have low profile light bars now, not the attention grabbing 7 pod light bars on the crown vics....

Now we have another type of traffic shark to look out for when in a slight hurry.

and yes all CHP ehicles have forward and rear radars

it is the Hawk radar that can give accurante speed readings while moving....accurate to one tenth of a mile (Plus or minus)

habitual speeders are screwed.

let's take our ponies to te track.

also...it is a good thing camaros will be phased out in 2003 this means that we will have to put up with their stealthiness until 2007

3-4 years is the typical lifespan of a police vehicle due to the large time idling and bursts of acceleration.

:)

G

·
0 Posts
You could always just move to Europe. My last assignment was in Germany, the Autobahns are great! I didn't have my mustang then, but I did own a '93 Crown Vic. Needless to say I was always kicking in the govener, 112mph max speed. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Jason

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Dave:

If you're eligible for traffic school, take it...no points on your license. Not cheap, but the ticket doesn't count as a conviction for insurance purposes so the long term effect on your insurance rates usually offsets the initial cost.

IIRC if you're cited for 90+ its considered reckless and counts as 2 points. Below that speed it's only 1 point.

In the 9 years I had my Porsche, I only got nailed once...by a freakin photo radar van that clocked me at 35 in a 25 zone. As I recall, it cost me a couple of hundred dollars after everyone got paid. Given all the times I could have been nabbed but wasn't while driving that car, I guess I made out ok.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts