Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One step foreword, three or four steps back.

I finally got the firewall pad installed. I drilled two new holes for retaining pins and once it was hanging I was able to mark the rest of the holes and cutouts I needed.

The pad is advertised for my year but doesnt fit without modification. Width wise its about an inch short. Many of the cutouts were in the wrong place.

I couldnt get the new engine bay harness installed. The firewall hole was punched and has a lip on the inside. The grommet isnt deep enough to accommodate the lip. So tomorrow Im going to lie on my back under the dash and grind the lip down so the grommet will seat. Another year specific part that doesnt fit. Of course the washer hoses and speedo cable will have to come back out before I grind.

Im still working on the new brake pedal. Im having to grind quite a bit off of it to clear the pedal support. Yep, advertised for my 67, doesnt fit without modification.

Of course once I modify a part there is no warranty.

Maybe thats their plan....................

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
yep......I had more or less the same experience 8 years ago on my 66....I need another one for the 65 and had hoped they were correct by now....something so seemingly simple to copy, how do they f that up?

·
Registered
816 Posts
In my life your experience would be just another Tuesday regardless what I'm working on. People wonder why I'm so pessimistic.

Congrats on finding some time to work on the car. I'm jealous. I don't recall the last time the mustang was uncovered. I know the last time the vette was out of the garage was last december to accomodate replacing the clothes washer. The A is just something to trip around and pile crap on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are different pedals for manual brakes vs. power brakes on 67’s. Double check they sent you right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its the incorrect, correct power pedal.

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
Nothing beats original parts, when you can find 'em. And afford 'em.

Reactions: image98 and 289vert

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,067 Posts
I hear ya about the firewall pads. I installed one in my 66 along with new wiring harness. Had to open up some of the holes and a couple of the firewall clip holes didn't match the re-pro firewall. If I were to do it again I'd use another modern product for thermal insulation.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I received a expensive box of parts from our most favored vendor tonight and feel the same way, aggravated. I remember restoring the wife's 67 back in 91 and just putting 90% genuine Ford parts on it. So simple!

·
Super Moderator
10,014 Posts
There is a bright side, that being the availability of just about every single part needed,

But yes, they do need tweaking here and there.

Aren't these old cars fun?!

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
I got one from NPD that had the original texture on it for my son's 66 and it was "dead nuts on". The hardest part was getting the tabs pushed through. The new mat was great but it didn't come with new tabs to replace the metal original ones. I used the plastic equivalent from an auto parts store, just a bit large for the holes, but it's NOT coming off and the cut-outs were nearly perfect. It's proof the best part is not always the most expensive.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought the metal pad clips but didnt use them. I dont remember where I bought the pad, it was over a year ago.

I had the pad on and off 5-6x. I used 3/4" #10 screws with the head painted black and inserted the screws from the engine side with a nut to keep it in place. After I installed the pad, I used a fender washer and a flange nut to hold the pad in place. One screw is behind the heater box and one each on the far sides hidden by the fender splash shields. I will add a few more once everything is bolted in place and I see what firewall holes are left.

Plan B on the wire harness grommet. Im not grinding the lip down on the hole, Im going to plug the hole and drill a new hole where the clutch rod would exit the firewall. If the next owner wants a manual, he is free to cuss me all he wants while he is grinding down the lip make teh grommet fit the hole it belongs in.

I finished modifying the brake pedal. it now swings freely in the support bracket, a little paint touchup and its ready to bolt in.

The leading edge of Sally is here, so 3-4-5 days of rain.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plan C:

I cut the grommets off both harnesses. I put the old grommet that was in excellent condition on the new harness with the seam at the bottom. It went right in the hole, no fuss no muss.

On to the next problem!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts