Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I missed the Pony's and Snakes show today. As a computer programmer for Raley's Supermarkets, I've been working on a major project all week that was to be installed in all the Food Source stores (subsidiary chain) last night after the stores closed at midnight. I was hoping to start at 12:30, be in bed by 1:30, up at 6:30 and at the show by 8:30. Oh, but even though I spent half the day yesterday washing, waxing, vacumming, and detailing the car, it just wasn't to be. The installation did not go well and at 4:00, I needed to drive to the office, because I couldn't get connected to our store in San Jose.

On the way to the office, I know it's just me, the drunks, and the cops on the streets, so I'm doing the speed limit. I'm trying to hurry, so I'm not doing BELOW the speed limit, but am making sure I didn't exceed it. All of a sudden, from nowhere I got a car tailgaiting me so close I thought I was about to have a road rage encounter of the ugly kind. So I move over a lane, hoping to let the jerk pass, that was trying to hook is front bumper onto to my towe hitch (I was in the 4-Runner since it was blocking in my Mustang and I was still holding out hopes of keeping it clean for the show). As I change lanes, I realize the tail-gating jerk was a Citrus Height cop ... the rejects that couldn't make it as Keystone cops. So he moves over with me and continues riding my bumper for about a mile before turning on the lights. He claims that I was doing 61 in a 45. I told him I didn't see how that was possible, that I was watching my speedometer and never did it get that high (I was at this point being polite). I explained to him my situation, that I was really pressed for time and was heading to my office. This was probably a big mistake, as he now goes back to his car and I sit for 20 minutes (I guess there must have been a ton of us speeders at 4:00 am in the big ol', backassward town of Citrus Heights, and the dispatch was swampped). When he comes back, he hands me a ticket and says I could blow out my tires going through that construction zone at those speeds. I told him I looked at my speedometer as I approached the construction zone and I was doing 45, and I slowed down through the metal plates and gigantic pot holes in the construction zone. He kind of snorts and says in a sarcastic voice, "Well, if that's the story you want to stick with ..." to which I replied it IS the story I will be sticking with. I sign the ticket and the cop says in his most sarcastic voice, "Have a nice day".

So I take off, now being DAMN sure not to exceed the speed limit. I get one mile down the road and the jerk cop from hell is following me and decides he hasn't ruined my night enough and turns on his lights to pull me over AGAIN!

So I pull over and wait and wait and wait. Then I see that one of his buddies has decided to join the fun and is now behind him. After waiting there for 20 minutes, I call on my cell phone to my co-worker (and friend) who is already at one of the stores (the original plan was that I would do the program installs and go to bed, and he'd go to a store and make sure everything was working). I spend 5-10 minutes on the phone with him discussing the problems we were having. I ended my phone conversation and waited an aditional 5 minutes before the cop decides he's probably got me plenty POed and comes to my window, now that I'd been sitting pulled over for almost 30 minutes! THIS BASTARD IS NOW GOING TO GIVE ME ANOTHER TICKET FOR DOING 57 IN A 45!

Well you can imagine that I had had about enough and we got into quite a screaming match, but the bottom line is that this SOB pulled me over 2 times in 2 minutes in less than a mile and I got 2 speeding tickets. I've had 1 ticket in the last 10 years prior to this.

I finally did make it to the office after that (I was driving 30mph in a 40mph the rest of the way to my office with the bastard still following me). By the time we were done and I was back home it was 9:00 am, I have a nicely detailed car 2 hours from the show that's about to start and I haven't had any sleep in 24 hours. Oh, well, I guess there'll be other shows.

Sorry for the LOOONNG post, but I haven't been this POed in as long as I can remember. Time to go get some sleep now :(

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
You were being harassed. Next time call 911. I'll assume the officers name and badge number are on the citation. Follow up with a formal complaint to his superiors. And do take the time to go to court to tell the judge your side of the story.

Sorry about your problem....

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
I haven't seen anyone hassled like that since I was a kid! Lets see 26 in a 25. Burned out side marker lights. The judge would always let us go but we would have to take a day off of work or school.

He couldn't use the excuse he was running a check on you and your vehicle for the wait since he had just done it a few minutes ago. Sounds like he just had a bug up his butt.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Also just to be the devils advocate for a sec.....your speedo does read correct right?

2 items of note.
When I was a kid I had a cop tail gate on a dark road once. Came out of nowhere after i pulled out from my girl friends development. Many people have the instinct to accelrate a little when someone is coming up fast on them just to make sure they are ready for the impending collision ;) Being the kid I was I just floored it to show the a$$hole behind me not to tailgate :: that was a bad move.

Anyway back to your situation...if he was behind you that means he wasn't timing you with a stop watch or clocking you with a gun he was just matching your speed and noting the speed....in my state, they have to follow you for well over a mile with you at a constant speed over the limit to issue you a ticket using this method (one reason why most cops use radar) so concievable you can easily win the second ticket in court since it was less than 1 mile later.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
When he was tailgaiting you should have hit the brakes real hard for that dog that ran out in front of you. Open the door roll out on the ground and flop up and down some then take a ride to hospital on them and then file a nice little law suit.

G

·
0 Posts
I've meet good cops and bad cops in my travels. I've been pulled over for every reason from my blue 73 conv being mistaken for a brown 4 door Buick whom some suspect was driving. To the officer was just board and wanted to take a look and a ride in my stang.

Unfortunately doing the speed limit is no guarantee that you won't get to meet an officer who is having a bad day or just happens to be an ass.

I've gotten a few tickets while obeying all traffic laws. It just makes me feel that much better when I get out on a lonely stretch of highway and work the cobwebs out of my engine at speeds well in excess of the limit. I figure I'm allowed since I got to pay part of the fine in advance.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I've had cops do totaly weird stuff like that before. They are just people too, most are great and then there are the few a$$es that ruin it for everybody. It sounds like you've been had. They won't consider it harassment if the citation is held as valid in court.

The next step would be to get your facts together for your defense. Go to a place that can check your spedometer and have it verified. Re-check your route for the posted speed limit. I would consider hiring a lawyer for this one as between the driving record and the insurance cost for the next 3 years it would likely pay.

Sorry John, this kind of stuff sucks.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Find out when the Police Chief/Sheriff arrives Monday morning, be waiting on him when he arrives.... Tell him exactly what happened and that you feel like you were being harassed.....

·
4,128 Posts
I do not think that anyone in here will disagree that the officer was being a d*ckhead. But I must ask this question, is your speedo accurate? No changing to bigger tires in the rear or anything like that. I suppose that you could go to a speedometer calibration place and have it checked so that when you stand in front of the judge and tell your story...
On the way to the office, I know it's just me, the drunks, and the cops on the streets, so I'm doing the speed limit. I'm trying to hurry, so I'm not doing BELOW the speed limit, but am making sure I didn't exceed it. All of a sudden, from nowhere I got a car tailgaiting me so close I thought I was about to have a road rage encounter of the ugly kind. So I move over a lane, hoping to let the jerk pass, that was trying to hook is front bumper onto to my towe hitch (I was in the 4-Runner since it was blocking in my Mustang and I was still holding out hopes of keeping it clean for the show). As I change lanes, I realize the tail-gating jerk was a Citrus Height cop ... the rejects that couldn't make it as Keystone cops. So he moves over with me and continues riding my bumper for about a mile before turning on the lights.
and show that you do in fact have an accurate speedo.
John you have talked about these guys before, didn't you get pulled over for being perceived to going to fast? :: Your mistake was simple; you opened your mouth other than to say "Yes Sir" or "No Sir". But at that moment in time you thought that you were dealing with a reasonable person, not an erect penis wearing a cop uniform. :: Sorry to say but this sounds like its going to cost you some hard earned money no matter what you do. I would fight it and even consider getting some legal advise. Other than the legal advise that you will no doubt get in here. Good luck and keep us posted. Who needs to watch soap operas, we have The Days of Johnpro. :p fd

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Wow. No matter what happens make sure to file a complaint against the guy. The next time he's up for promotoion it may come into play. He's screwed with you and you should do whatever possible to screw him back the only difference is your action is justified.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
All you should have done was tell the cop you were refusing to sign ticket #2 until his supervisor shoed up . At that point pick up your cell phone and dial 911 and tell them a police officer is harassing you and you would like someone to respon because you fear for your life . Tell them you want a State Trooper to respond .
Im sure he was hoping you would do something like that because then he would have cuffed you . But the good thing is if you were on 911 when he started his crap it would be recorded .
Id go visit the police station and or mayors office before I paid any fines . A visit to the Mayors office to explain exactly what you just did would likely fix multiple problems . Also before I paid a dime Id get a lawyer to get the tickets removed . IF you have to pay a fine might as well pay a lawyer to get it tossed out .

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
Sorry John, there's not a lot I can say that hasent, all I can say is "WHAT A SH!% HEAD".

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
John,

sorry to hear about this - makes you wonder about the local cops sometimes. And we are suppose to leave the responsibility of our personal defense to these kinds of folks? Fortunately, not all are like this one but like others have said, it's worth fighting those tickets.

Hope everything goes well from now on,

Dean T

(p.s. I just cleaned up from using POR15 and I think the solvents disolved my brain - in case my post is incoherent).

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
John id say call a attorney here in florida i was driving home one night 1:00 am had my 3 year old son sleeping in his car seat, i got pulled over and taken from my truck ( bronco) at gun point by several officers as my son screamed histericly, and was searched and detained in the cop car while they searched my vehical and my son screamed and cried the whole time after 1 and 1/2 hours i was realesed from the car they told me they had a moterist call and report i was waving a gun at them, ( i had no gun) and told me to BE ON MY WAY my attorney did wonders and i put the settelment money away for my sons education,

hurt them bad MAKE THEM PAY! :: ::

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'll second Whisperer totally. Its a great big hassle you don't need, but may be worth the time expended. BTW, could you have refused to sign the tickets?? In Wyoming you have that option. That guarantees you a court date for a hearing, which requires the cop to be present...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Johnpro, I know exactly how you feel. Read my post up a couple of pages titled: f*&^#ing machine shop! ::

·
Registered
122 Posts
man, you sure that you werent driving through hazzard county in a orange charger with a confederate flag on top? sounds like enos and rosco were behind you. officers like that give cops a bad name. i hope you do consult an attorney and fight it. maybe it will help get these idiots on desk duty for a long time. to be fair i agree about getting the spedo checked. ive had two suv's and they were both a little off but i cant see how it would be that far off. anyways, good luck!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
fight the ticket, your granted a day in court, and if the officer DOESNT show up ( 60 % of the time they DONT ) your tickets will be thrown out... and on top of that, file a complaint against the officer for harassment in attempts to tarnish his record as much as possible...some cops, they really are PIGS.like said before, get a lawyrer, sometimes this really DOES help, i know a few ppl who have fought their tickets and won....that cop must have really been bored and wanting to abuse his power...i bet hes one of those cops who turns his lights on just to get through an intersection for fun, or one who pulls the ladies over in hopes of a " favor"

·
Registered
139 Posts
I like mod9's remedy to being tailgated. I would bug everyone from his supervisor on up until the problem was resolved. This is not acceptable behavior. I have to say that you handled this alot better than I would have.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts