Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to be a chevy nut, wouldn't think of owning anything else. Always liked mustangs though, and am finally coming over to the good side. However, a few year back I bought a chevy one ton crew cab with a 454. I have pamper the crap out of the thing and last week I found out that the upper and lower control arm bushing are shot and the main and rod bearings need to be replaced due to the intake manifold gaskets leaking coolant. So my $40K truck with 58,000 pampered miles needs a front end rebuild and major engine work!!!! I am pis...!!! I will never buy a GM product again. To add insult to injury, I spent an hour on the phone today with GM customer assistance so that they could tell me I was out of luck. Super Duty here I come...

Thanks, I feel better now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
agree, used to think the same thing. i have a cavalier in the garage. it is my $7k paper wieght because the engine blew at 80k miles. the warranty is out and the work plus all the other things that need to be done are going to cost about $4K... all for a car that is only worth $6K now... i refuse to put money into a car that is, as the mechanic says, "going to break again most likely". GM is crap!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GM is crap!
Couldn't have said it better! I really like the part where they tell you to take it to the dealer to have it repaired. Did I forget to have the stupid tatoo removed from my forehead? Take it to the dealer- ya right, I'm going to do the work myself and use nothing but aftermarket parts...

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
GM is crap!
Hold on...I am going to defend GM. 4 out of 5 cars in my driveway right now are GM vehicles.

Pontia Sunfire - Dad's car. Nice car, I like it. I dont like driving it very much because the accelerator pedal is hard to push down compared to other cars I have been in. It makes me feel a little uncomefortable.

Chevy Tracker - Mom's car. I dont really like the Tracker because it is like a small SUV, and I hate SUV's. Easy to drive though. Not a bad ride.

94' Chevy Beretta - Brother's car. I love this car so much. The seats a comfortable, the steering is nice and its a great looking car.

84' Chevy Custom deluxe truck - Stationary vehicle. It doesnt run right now. I started to take the motor apart (when it only needed a battery and maybe a tune up to run) when I didnt know much about engine or cars. Now I am trying to put the engine back together. Great truck.

18 years ago my grandparents bough a silver 84' chevy cavalier station wagon because my brother was born. They knew they were going to be hauling big gifts from Norristown so they decided they needed a station wagon. 18 years later that car is still going strong. It's had its problems just like any other car. When my grandmother gets a new car the Cavalier will be my daily driver and I will be damn proud of it. The seats are comfortable, very comfortable. The only problem is the steering. Some dumba$$ mechanic took out a power steering component years ago. It takes some muscle to turn that car.

I didnt choose any of these cars (except for the Stang :: ) but I dont mind them much.

·
Registered
305 Posts
my 96 F-250 has over 150,000 and never enev twiched. my 86 F-150 has over 200,000 and I have only had to replace one exhaust manifold. I LOVE FORDS.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hey rimcrew,

Dont buy your new Ford from Tex. I bought my new supercrew from the jones boys in Buckeye. I couldn't believe the price. Decide what you want and give them a call. They will beat any price you will find in Maricopa Co. Also no city sales tax.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Well, just to set the record straight, when I had my Mercury Sable a few years back, after 4 factory recalls, replacing the transmission, most of the interior, all of the power steering, the coil, all 8 injectors, and air conditioning system, Ford refused to finish fixing the things that never worked since it was new because "Since it had 48k miles on it and was 4 years old, it had out-lived it's usefulness". I told them that if their cars were only good for 4 years, I'd never buy another Ford, even though I, at the time, had 4 Fords in the driveway. I've stuck to that, except for Vintage Mustangs (back in the day when they knew how to make a car and treat a customer). I couldn't GIVE that car away!

So, it's not just GM cars. It's American cars in general. American car companies build cars to make money on parts and repairs. Foreign companies build them to make money on car sales.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
before you go nailing ONE particular automaker to the cross, you may want to check out www.blueovalnews.com and in particular, this article about the "infamous" Ford Powerstroke http://www.blueovalnews.com/2003/powertrain/6.0powerstroke_injectors.htm.....

as far as "foreign automakers" - please, their track record for "lemons" is right up there with every other automaker. The bottom line is, buyer beware and if you get stuck with a POS from ANY automaker, raise hell until you get some sort of satisfaction...

randy

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I don't have a problem witht the particular brand...for me it is the people. I appreciate all makes and models of the previous cars. All the 60's muscle cars were Killer!
Whether it was a ZL-1 or a T-bolt. Hell one of the sweetest cars I ever sat in was a 62 hemi super lite weight that Floyd Garrett had in his garage. Next to that I'd say a 283 56 chevy factory drag car...a super charged 57 fairlane...the list could go on.
What I hate the most is the ..People that don't appreciate the style of the car no matter what the make.
I have this old fart at work that was giving me crap the other day about my stang...(which he has never even seen!) and he started in on my newest purchase a 67 vert. Can you imagin what he drives....a mitubisi..3000 sl. ::roll:: He kinda got pissed when I brought up the fact I just replaced the original starter on it....and I looked at him and said "now have'nt you done that too!..no wait you had to pay someone to do that!" None wrenchin piece of crap! ::

·
Registered
391 Posts
johnpro,

I'll tell my neighbor with the piece of junk BMW that keeps breaking down that it is just his imagination. I'm sure he will understand.

Give me a break. Can't stand Japanese and German junk and don't even get me started on the Korean tin cans.

-BS

·
Registered
287 Posts
Little off topic here but has anyone seen the '04 Ford trucks? Look to be pretty nice and its about time they got a facelift and a fully boxed frame.

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
Ok, I guess that I might as well get my .02 in. All new cars / trucks are not built to last forever. If they did there would be a lot of workers out of jobs. Also when you depend on a human being to do somthing, things will fail. My Mechanic that I use for things that I don't want to do has his little querks. We all do. Face it, if things move they will break / fail. Somtimes you get lucky.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Well, all I can say is that every Toyota or Honda I've owned I've driven to well over 150k miles, one of them to 210k miles with only clutch and brake replacments in that time. I've never gotten anywhere close to that without some major repairs on any American made car made after the early '70's. And don't get me started on the American Car company dealer service departments ... they only hire the rejects that couldn't cut it at Jiffy Lube.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts