Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though not a very good one yet. I picked up a Lincoln 3200HD from Home Depot yesterday and got it together today. After 20 minutes practicing on an old hood I tackled installing my battery apron. It went pretty well considering the amount of time I have had with it. I had a couple of blow-throughs but went back and fixed them OK. It cleaned up pretty good with the grinder. I will be getting a gas bottle soon to make things a little cleaner. Feels good to finally put something back on the car.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Remember to assess the welding area for flammables/combustables and have a fire extinguisher handy. When I worked at home when young, I did most of my welding with a TIG, which casts no sparks and is kind of like an arc torch. Very important consideration if welding within a wood framed or sided structure. When the hood is down, it's hard to know what's going on outside the weld zone.

Glad you had a good time!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Safety was top of the list, even bought a new fire extinguisher to go with the welder.

·
Registered
305 Posts
where you from in Idaho. I am from Twin Falls.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
One of the best phrases I ever heard was from our very own 66gt350. He once told me there's 2 kinds of welders ... those that are good with the welder, and those that are good with the grinder. I'd be in the second group :eek:

The batter apron is a good place to learn. It was my first real welding job, too, on my son's '65 coupe and came out really good for my first time. It also gave me the confidence to do the radiator support and floor pan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts