Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Here is the setup I went with Borgeson box with Jones power steering setup. 馃憤
Nice pictures! Looks like it is based on the now standard LM GM based pump KRC uses. I've never heard of Jones before. I'm really interested on what you did on the serpentine belt setup. More pictures please!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm still rocking the HiPo fan but I will check out Jones racing! Thank you for the reply

Registered
You could adapt a KRC pump to your system, they have brackets for a lot of popular applications, or make your own. KRC pumps do have an RPM limit, but it's speced from an efficiency standpoint. Their premium pump can be tailored to just about any flow and pressure requirements and they do have pullys of varying diameters. KRC Power Steering Racing Pumps & Racing Engine Pulley Kits
I fabricated a bracket to to use a KRC pump with my Fox type serpentine system. If you are using it for autocross, get the pump with the remote reservoir, it will allow the flud to run cooler.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So I took the last drive of the year today . Drove about 10 miles on the back roads taking it easy which all I can do given the alignment and the power steering pump was quiet. It wasn't on my last, last drive, so it sheds bubbles sitting on the lift for weeks? I almost pulled into my driveway but the freshly paved state road was calling my name. A few modest sub 6000 rpm shifts and I sprinted down the road a few miles no problem, but when I got to my turn around the pump was whining a bit. Back to the state road and a few 6400 shifts and the pump was totally useless and screaming! Apparently the new Commie pump doesn't like higher RPMs and starts cavitation. I want to say cavitating but Apple says thats not a word. I keep visiting the TCP site but thats an obscene amount of money!

Registered
I run a tcp power rack and hydratech hydroboost with a KRC pump and v belt. From what I recall the hydroboost only uses a few tablespoons of fluid to work, so it鈥檚 not really an additional tax on your PS. I have done several HPDE days and drag strip runs and never had any cavitation or belt throwing issues, but it is sensitive to fluid level. My 15 year old rack is weepy and I can get foamy fluid and some pump groan if I don鈥檛 stay on top of the level. In hindsight I鈥檇 get the remote reservoir rather than the pump mounted one for more capacity and line routing options.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I run a tcp power rack and hydratech hydroboost with a KRC pump and v belt. From what I recall the hydroboost only uses a few tablespoons of fluid to work, so it鈥檚 not really an additional tax on your PS. I have done several HPDE days and drag strip runs and never had any cavitation or belt throwing issues, but it is sensitive to fluid level. My 15 year old rack is weepy and I can get foamy fluid and some pump groan if I don鈥檛 stay on top of the level. In hindsight I鈥檇 get the remote reservoir rather than the pump mounted one for more capacity and line routing options.
Thank you for the response! I would definitely spring for the remote reservoir. I just can't get over the cost of the whole thing! Near $4000 at this point and that's not including the Hydro boost. I've spent so much money twice and thrice I can't afford to keep repeating the same mistakes trying to save money.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Registered
God do I feel your pain!!!! Three pumps, and now on my second steering box. Never threw a belt though. Autocross is brutal on power steering. Gotta take your time to line up your pump pulley, and shim the pump forward or aft to get it perfect. My problem is heat.. The one thing I did that made huge improvements was go to a March 5.5" crank pulley and added a pump brace to limit the pump movement. The smaller crank pulley slowed down the pump significantly, and other than making sure my alternater gets up to rpm, all is good and the car runs cooler. Is it possible you're simply over driving the pump and pulling the pump towards the water pump?

You'll probably recognize the normal power steering pump bracket. The support I added prevents the pump from torquing back/forth. The bracket holds the back of the pump, the support prevents the pump from moving. You'll also notice the washers used to shim the pump forward to improve belt alignment. I fab'd this brace, but it's nothing complicated if you have a welder.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
God do I feel your pain!!!! Three pumps, and now on my second steering box. Never threw a belt though. Autocross is brutal on power steering. Gotta take your time to line up your pump pulley, and shim the pump forward or aft to get it perfect. My problem is heat.. The one thing I did that made huge improvements was go to a March 5.5" crank pulley and added a pump brace to limit the pump movement. The smaller crank pulley slowed down the pump significantly, and other than making sure my alternater gets up to rpm, all is good and the car runs cooler. Is it possible you're simply over driving the pump and pulling the pump towards the water pump?

You'll probably recognize the normal power steering pump bracket. The support I added prevents the pump from torquing back/forth. The bracket holds the back of the pump, the support prevents the pump from moving. You'll also notice the washers used to shim the pump forward to improve belt alignment. I fab'd this brace, but it's nothing complicated if you have a welder.

View attachment 774515
The problem with the Ford and GM pumps is the main shaft runs off a bushing and not a bearing and they apparently can鈥檛 take the punishment. My pulley alignment is perfect but I probably need to consider aluminum pulleys.

Registered
Nail, would another pump from Chock, a power steering cooler, AND underdrive pulley on the crank be just enough to make it happy ? LSG

Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
You can run a KRC pump with the stock setup, Borgeson or a rack. I use their pump on my rack. Love it. It has changeable flow valves so you can tune assist/feel. I swap between 2 valves, 1 for autox and 1 for faster open track duty.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Nail, would another pump from Chock, a power steering cooler, AND underdrive pulley on the crank be just enough to make it happy ? LSG
The KRC pump is a no brainer at this point because it will work with whatever I do steering wise in the future. I bet it weighs a lot less as well!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
mostly turning
That is allegedly air trapped in the system. I believe KRC has a bleeding procedure for their pumps. With my commie replacement pump the air would dissipate when the car sat for a while but would reappear again on the first 6000+ rpm burst and last until the car sat for days. I would hope the KRC pump being for racing and all wouldn't do that!

Premium Member
That is allegedly air trapped in the system. I believe KRC has a bleeding procedure for their pumps. With my commie replacement pump the air would dissipate when the car sat for a while but would reappear again on the first 6000+ rpm burst and last until the car sat for days. I would hope the KRC pump being for racing and all wouldn't do that!
While I am certainly not an expert, but with an intermittent problem like that my mind immediately goes to a possible air leak. Do you think that during the heating / cooling cycles something in the system is expanding and contracting and allowing air into the system?

Registered
I hear you on your back pain, I know full well what limitations it puts on gear heads. I鈥檓 81 with 5 joint replacements plus a not too successful L4-5 to S1 spinal fusion.
A couple of years ago I did the 200 dollar EPAS mod on my 68 and to be honest, the under dash time was insignificant compared to the the work you will do under there putting in a hydro boost. Front driver seat removal is a must for us back issue guys.
Talk to the guys running autocross with EPAS and listen to what they say about it. Compared to any of the long out dated technology of hydraulic systems EPAS will free up a bit of HP, greatly reduce under hood temps and is virtually maintenance free.
JMO

21 - 40 of 66 Posts