Vintage Mustang Forums banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
The Unisteer rack mount replaces the crossmember and bolts in using the crossmembers bolts. It's more than capable of replacing the cross member since it''s made from thick steel plate. The down side is that it's much heavier than the OEM or Z Ray cross member.

According to KRC's website, they have a specified RPM that their pumps can run, but exceeding the limit will only eat HP and not provide any additional fluid pumping. 7500 RPM shouldn't be a problem.
To calculate pump RPM use the following formula.
Divide the crank pulley diameter (cp) by the power steering pump pulley diameter (psp), then multiply that answer by maximum engine RPM.
Ex. 4.5"cp ÷ 6.0"psp = 0.75 x 7,200 = 5,400 RPM Pump Speed
The main benefit to z ray cross member is the tie in into the LCA

·
Premium Member
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
So I ordered my CVF pulleys this morning, and although they were in stock the gentleman on the phone said they were 7 to 10 days out due to being short handed. Where have I heard that before? Oh yea, everywhere! I told the gentleman I spoke with that I had an autocross in less than 2 weeks and that the pulleys would really help. He said, I think I can help you out. Sure enough I got an email this afternoon they had shipped! VIA USPS, sigh.... I ordered the early PS pressure hose through NPD yesterday and have heard nothing about shipping. Thats a first! Not a complaint, but a first. I did the AN fittings early this evening through Summit, all in stock in Ohio. Let's see how that pans out.

·
Registered
748 Posts
So I ordered my CVF pulleys this morning, and although they were in stock the gentleman on the phone said they were 7 to 10 days out due to being short handed. Where have I heard that before? Oh yea, everywhere! I told the gentleman I spoke with that I had an autocross in less than 2 weeks and that the pulleys would really help. He said, I think I can help you out. Sure enough I got an email this afternoon they had shipped! VIA USPS, sigh.... I ordered the early PS pressure hose through NPD yesterday and have heard nothing about shipping. Thats a first! Not a complaint, but a first. I did the AN fittings early this evening through Summit, all in stock in Ohio. Let's see how that pans out.
I love summits fast shipping

·
Premium Member
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I was able to get the KRC pump, CVF pulleys, and Eaton style pressure hose installed today 100% plug and play with a few adapter fittings. The most time consuming and messy part was flushing the system. 3 quarts of Valvoline PS fluid followed by 2 quarts of the pricy KRC fluid and it still has a slight reddish look to it? I flushed a lot of gold / brass out of the system. Not sure if it was from the Ford pump or the China imitation Ford pump? I'll flush it again before next Saturday's autocross. I took it for a brief drive and it seemed a little less boosted than the Ford pump with the 6" pulley but without the assist dropping out at idle. After a slow tight course next Saturday followed by a super fast course the following weekend I should have a good idea were I stand.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Looks good.

·
Premium Member
5,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
The KRC pump worked fine on the tight "slow" course and just as well for 2 days on the fast bouncing off the limiter 4 times a run course. It drops into semi power steering mode when maneuvering at idle in grid sometimes but never on the course. It is 1000% better than it has ever been with the Ford pump and I have no complaints at all a complete success! Other than I wish the steering was 2 turns lock to lock. After 2 days on the fast course the Dayco Top Cog belts now exclusively from the most favored nation are really loose but I experienced no loose of steering.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts