Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never cease to be amazed at how much of the capacity of a mustang fuel tank can be used with a good electric fuel pump!!!!

Yesterday before work I came to the realization I hadnt remembered correctly when I last filled the beast up....(no, the fuel guage hasnt worked since I got the car)

Rather toasty up this way..especially on a multi-mile fuel walk!!!

When I left work, I went to the nearest gas station and PUMPED 21.27 GALLONS into the tank of my 70!!!

I'm in the middle of parts acquisition for my cleveland buildup (name brand parts only), so I'm not blowing money elsewhere....but you better believe I'm calling NPD to get a new fuel tank sender/pickup assembly!!!

Every time I run it out of gas, it's 3000 degrees out!!! What was I thinking?!?!?!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
IIRC they are 20 gallon tanks. That is how empty my SWMBO usually leaves mine...

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
That's nothing....I ran out of gas in a truck 4 times in one day....
When I pulled out of the building to start my delivery route I noticed the tank showed empty so I went to fill it up. Pumped 2 1/2 gallons and the tank wouldn't take any more...backflowed out of the fill tube...so I'm figuring the gas gauge on this truck is broken.
Drive 45 miles to my first stop...and run out of gas. A guy with a five gallon can shows up and the truck takes half the can and starts to overflow...hmmmm...
I drive directly to the closest gas station and spend 30 minutes putting 10 gallons in the truck...just keeps backflowing and slowly going down...mechanic at station says "Well that's the dangest thang I have ever seen."

Finish my route and head back...notice the tank is just above empty on the gauge but I figure since that was more than it showed on the trip down I would be safe....

RIGHT....

Get about 25 miles and run out of gas....DOOOOAHHHH

Hitch-hike to town, buy a can, put in gas....drive to station, force feed about 5 gallons...but I am running behind and stops will be closing soon so I high-tail it back into town...

Finish my last stop and head to the gas station....and run out of gas within 100 yards of it...

Doooahhh....

Get my can get 2 gallons and put it in...now I'm home free...just 6 mile to station and the gas pumps....

So I'm driving to station and ready to turn on road....major accident...firetruck, cops...road closed...so I have to detour....

Yes ....your right...

I run out of gas 1/2 mile from station.....

NOW THAT"S A SUPER DOOFUS

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
A couple of years ago we were driving SWMBOs car to the grocery store and I happen to look at the gas gauge. "E". I said oh sh**t we gotta get gas, 30 seconds later it ran out.

G

·
0 Posts
Yeah shark, you are a doofus alright. I have had my license for 1 year now. I have ran out of gas 4 times. When you cant afford to fix the guage or to buy gas thats what happens. Im a doofus too I guess:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts