Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any reason I shouldn't save a little money and get the typhoon? Looks like it's about $150 cheaper.

I have thought about the explorer intakes, but they usually are pretty pitted and nasty, plus I have heard some years are better than others....

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I used a typhoon for the cost savings on my old blown 306. It worked just fine. I did take a few minutes to port match things before assembly but surprisingly there wasn't much I needed to do there. The Typhoon manifolds are pretty well respected over at Andersonfordmotorsports.com. If you were to spend more money and get a better manifold I went with Trick Flow but the Holley Systemax is a great manifold. I went with Trick Flow Track Heat because of the great price I got (corral.net) and it was already black.

I don't like the look of the Explorer intakes and I question if they are any better than the Typhoon. I felt the typhoon was better than the Explorer/Cobra intake and that is why I got it. I know someone else will come along with comments about Chinese crap but I have not had any problems with their products or quality control.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Its a casting. I think the Chinese have figured out how to melt Al and pour into sand casting. Save the bucks if need be and get the Typhoon. I had the explorer intake on my engine and was never happy with appearance/cost ratio since it was on a 351W and cost $400. The top and lower don't match on Ford part. If I had easy access to it, I'd sell it cheap as I run converted single plane now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Depends on what Hp your gonna be at? For big big HP you need to look at GT40, Holley Systemax or a better breathing unit. For a lower HP car and inexpensive a Typhoon is probably fine. For inexpensive I like the Ford Motorsport Cobra Intake. Looks good and can handle 400HP.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I picked one up when I built my 5.0. I felt the casting was extremely soft and it was very prone to stripping out holes. I got fed up with it giving me issues everytime the motor was torn down and nearly gave it away. I went to an edelbrock vic 5.0(much different than the typhoon but similar in overall design) and never looked back. night and day difference in quality and out of the box casting was much cleaner, of course it was a $700 intake though.
On the flip side i had a Pro Products 75mm TB and it was great. win some you lose some i guess.

I would just keep looking for a good early explorer GT40 intake and have it powder coated. you can grab them for about $100-150 on corral.net

·
Registered
780 Posts
I pulled an Explorer intake at a pick-n-pull and installed. On the first gen cars, the shock tower interferes with the Cobra's built in EGR spacer.

A little smoothing with a sanding disc, some ceramic paint...and I think it'll do fine.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
If you do get a Ford intake, do yourself a favor and look up Tmoss on corral.net. He is the Ford intake guru and does some great porting work on them. I'm kicking my butt for not sending mine to him while it sat in my garage waiting on the install time.
FWIW, the newest offering from FRPP of the '93 Cobra intake is "Chinese Junk" too. It too is now an off shore part.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I went through the same struggle. I first got a polished 5.0 Mustang intake, but dropped that for a Trick Flow intake when I bought their intake kit (cam/heads/intake)... Take three: when I decided to go to a 331 stroker I bought a used Holley Systemax II... of the three, I like the looks of the Holley the best.

And yes, if you look up the term "Scope Creep" in the dictionary.. my ugly mug is there. :)

I still have the other two intakes if anyone is interested....

-Shannon

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
The new Cobra intakes you can buy these days are made in China now. I have a polished one on my 331 in my 5.0 and it is very nice though. I have seen guys complaining about a lot of slag inside the openings on some of these. Can't comment on the typhoon though....never had one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a pretty tame motor, 95 Cobra 5.0 (iron heads) with a gt cam and roller rockers. I am almost wondering if a ported stock intake would be fine.
I seem to remember the Holley intake being one of the best. Just not sure if it will give me much more power for double the cost.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The holley intake is a good setup. FWIW the original systemax used the f150 truck lower so if you stumble across a good deal on the upper(not uncommon) you can snag a junk yard lower for $30.

a ported stock 5.0 intake (non cobra) will keep up w/ that motor no problem. consider having it cut down if you send it out, it shortens the runners and helps the flow a ton.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts