Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It supposedly is a good engine with an aggressive cam. I pulled the intake. It is very clean as are the heads. I dont ever remember seeing a distributor like this though. Has a pro comp2 cap. Maybe an old school mallory? The pump shaft is a 2 piece.
20191107_185349.jpg
15731714994683422777955382520877.jpg

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
WHEN I HAD A 351W IN MY 66 VERT I USED 289 EXHUAST MANIFOLDS AND THEY WERE ALMOST TOUCHING ON STEERING BOX AND HAD TO CHANGE IT EVERY 2 YEARS. They do make special headers for that application

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
WHEN I HAD A 351W IN MY 66 VERT I USED 289 EXHUAST MANIFOLDS AND THEY WERE ALMOST TOUCHING ON STEERING BOX AND HAD TO CHANGE IT EVERY 2 YEARS. They do make special headers for that application

why are you yelling? lol. anyway, what did you change every two years? the steering box?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I had to change the l/h exhaust manifold every couple of years from it hitting the steering box under extreme circumstances as it would crack and leak.

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
Bart is 100% correct, that's a cheap Chinese ready to throw in the trash distributor from ProComp/Speedmaster/brandoftheday. I bought one a while back just to see how bad it was and I was not disappointed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd avoid the ProComp stuff, especially their aluminum cylinder heads. They're very cheap and they can have quite a lot of issues with them. Spend a bit more money and get something nicer, likely that's made in the USA. In terms of headers, JBA swap headers work great and there are a few others out there as well. The cheaper ones usually don't fit though, especially the long tubes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
View attachment 736596 View attachment 736596 how tight? Jack up engine to reach spark plugs tight?
mines in a 68. spark plugs are no problem. my headers are the jba mid length ones. they say to use a high temp sealant instead of a gasket which i did outside the car. There isn't much room at all and not really sure i would be able to do it without getting that stuff everywhere with the motor in the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts