Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first Modern Fuel injected car, an '89 Mustang LX 5.0L Sport (Sport was an '89 thing).

It's not in pristine condition but it's not bad for a 15 year old car. Get this, instead of dropping the fuel tank to
replace the in-tank fuel pump, some PO CUT A HOLE in the rear floor pan and then duct taped the cut section of metal over the hole once he was done.
Would it be murder if I hunted down the miscreant and bludgeoned him to death?

Anyway, looks like a good job for structural metal adhesive.

Really like the Fox chassis. One oddity: How does one crack an interior rear view mirror?

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, Thanks. That explains it. I'm going to pull a slightly wider one from the wrecking yard. Hope there're some Fairmonts left!

Regarding future classics - I can't believe this car is 15 years old and I can get replacement headlight and tail light lenses, front bumper cover, rear bumper cover, and even a fiberglas hatchback lid.

But first, a new exhaust system!

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
409 Posts
Pretty common mod done on late 80's Fords in my family.. we had an 88 Tempo that had the fuel pump die in my uncle's driveway. Being a mechanic, he cut out a hole over the tank with an air chisel, replaced the pump and pop-riveted some sheetmetal over it with some sealer inbetween. Real quick way to replace the pump. My father was a little worried, but my uncle had done it to 3 of his Fords when THEIR pumps died (he had his own mini junk yard of 25 cars at one point) and did it for customers if they approved. Saved a bit in labor costs, so they usually agreed.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Hmmm, I`ve got a `90 5.0 Fox with a bad sending unit...
Could be a pretty easy way to fix it ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts