Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not really. But it's a rear engine air cooled flat six, so close enough?

I sold my '69 Cougar and needed a replacement to tinker with and eventually sell for a profit. I really have a soft spot for Corvairs as I briefly owned one for about 72 hours back in 2013. That car ended up having 3 different vin numbers, so back it went :).

Anyways, I found a suitable replacement! This '63 Corvair Monza convertible popped up on Craigslist so I had to take a peek. I ended up driving it home the next day :). The tentative plan is to enjoy it as is, I'm in no rush to sell it. It came with some hideous slot mags, but those were promptly removed in favor of a set of original wheels that someone had already powder coated white. The hubcaps were sitting in the frunk(?). It's an older restoration, but it's presentable and attracts tons of attention everywhere it goes.

My dad has taken an interest in it as it checks off all the right boxes: convertible, red, automatic, classic, and my mom likes it. In the meantime, I'll likely reseal/service the engine and drive it around when my fastback goes to paint (November 9th!).

IMG_0720 by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_0722 by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_0729 by armon7, on Flickr

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Actually, For the 1960-1964 Corvairs, They sell Retro fitting Plates that you bolt on underneath the chassis which do away with the Corvair's inherent Understeer problems...and fully correct them.

The 1965-1969 Corvair did not suffer from these problems....but by then, the press damage was done...

In retrospect, The Corvair's driving problems weren't any worse than a Volkswagen's of the same period and it was way overblown... Even Ralph Nader has admitted that in recent years and has even attended Corvair Collectorcar conventions....if you can believe it.

Basically, Nader wanted to point out all of the safty problems in the industry, Seatbelts, metal dashes, bad auto glass, no crumple zones and no air bags. He just used the Corvair as his "Sacrificial Lamb".....That's all.

Part 1:

Part 2:

You could say that we have Today's Uber safety in today's cars to thank him for it...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Slots are coming back in style.

Cool car, I'd drive it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Nice! I had a '63 Monza for a while. Even autocrossed it a couple of times, believe it or not, all stock down to the Ralph Cramden bus driver steering wheel. The #5 rings were pretty much gone, hence its nickname "The Mosquito Fogger". It's weird, but I kind of miss it. Would have been a lot more fun if it had been a ragtop, though.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have been wanting to buy a Corvair for years...I keep an eye out for the right one at the right price...no convertible for me though

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're moving up in the world versus that old Falcon Mustang.
I actually saw that video a few years back. I think it's hilarious how they compared a run of the mill C code fastback to a top of the line turbo Corvair.

Most of the arguments made in the video are entirely subjective. What I find even more funny are the negative points made about the weight distribution in a front engined vehicle, as if if GM doesn't produce anything outside of the Corvair. The point made about "increased traction" by having more weight over the rear tires is ridiculous, I highly doubt even a turbo Corvair could break the tires loose!

It's surprisingly hard to find a copy of that book as no one reproduces it. One would think that one of the companies producing aftermarket parts and texts for the Corvair would reprint Nader's book as a novelty- I know I'd buy one to leave on the dash :).

I do have some bad news for the little tomato though- it's got a couple dead cylinders so I'm sourcing a replacement engine for it. Oh well, can't expect much from a Chevy ;).

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
The point made about "increased traction" by having more weight over the rear tires is ridiculous, I highly doubt even a turbo Corvair could break the tires loose!
You lost me a little there. I think it would require less power to break the tires loose on an old mustang than it would for the corvair, it having more weight over the rear drive wheel(s). People used to throw sandbags in their trunks come wintertime, a rudimentary traction control system that could be had for less than peanuts. ;)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You lost me a little there. I think it would require less power to break the tires loose on an old mustang than it would for the corvair, it having more weight over the rear drive wheel(s). People used to throw sandbags in their trunks come wintertime, a rudimentary traction control system that could be had for less than peanuts. ;)
What I'm trying to say is that the Corvair wouldn't be able to break the tires loose regardless of the extra traction coming from the rear engine design, making it a rather irrelevant point made by Chevy propaganda ;).

·
Registered
19,948 Posts
My brother's had Corvairs. One had a 60. It was a grey 4 door with automatic he bought in HS. I remember the heater blew up. The heater ran on gasoline and had a sparkplug to light it off. My other brother had a 64 green convertible when he was in the service down in FLA. That was a 4 speed car.

When I was in HS a friend had a turbocharged convertible. But in the early 70's they weren't highly sought after. It was a somewhat rough car with Bondo, a couple repaints that were pealing and a burned up turbo that was frozen. We did a ring job and put another turbo on he found someplace. It ran well for a short while before that turbo siezed up. Also put a clutch in it. What a job that was!

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I think a gen 2 Corvair with a Porsche 914-6 would be a good combo

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Good thing it's not a Porch, you would then be the brunt of the old joke.
What's the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine? On a Porcupine the Pri*k is on the outside.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Most of the arguments made in the video are entirely subjective. What I find even more funny are the negative points made about the weight distribution in a front engined vehicle, as if if GM doesn't produce anything outside of the Corvair. The point made about "increased traction" by having more weight over the rear tires is ridiculous, I highly doubt even a turbo Corvair could break the tires loose!
Only a marketing department could try to spin a 65/35 weight distribution as anything coming close to a positive.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I believe I read an article that said the corvair actually out performed the mustang, on a track event. I had a '64 flat head six and 4 on the floor. Seems it had two carbs on it too. Taught several girls how to drive a stick and then they drove my stick in gratitude...lol Had a lot of fun in it. :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts