Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've posted a couple times about a problem w/ coolant in my oil.. I checked out a few things and my conclusion is that I have a blown head gasket...

I checked the spark plugs for signs of rust but they are only about 1K miles old so they didn't tell me much. The #6 and #7 plugs were sparkling clean (being washed off by water?).

With the exhaust, now that I look more closely, I can see white smoke coming out the tailpipe. Also, there is clearly a white creamy looking substance (as well as oil) showing on the dipstick.

I'm actually relieved to find smoke coming out the tailpipe.. it leads me to believe that it's getting into the cylinder via a blown gasket that my heads or block isn't cracked... can someone confirm this notion please...

Also, should I tackle this myself or have someone do it.. I see it taking me a long time as my spare time is kind of limited. This is an extra car for me though, so there's no real hurry. I've gotten one quote from a shop... $750 to pull everything off, pressure test the heads, flush everything and slap it all back together...

Anything weird I should know about this job (i.e. gaskets hard to find, etc). my motor is a '66 289 4bbl w/ stock heads.

Thanks in advance, i really appreciate all your comments!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Jay,

If time is no factor, I'd do it yourself. Buy a Tom Monroe's book on rebuilding small blocks. A Ford manual help's, also. After reading the books, you'll be ready to dig in. Take the heads to a machine shop and have them checked. Then you can assemble everything. Parts are very easy to come by. Summit can help you with parts (gaskets,etc). Good luck, be prepared to learn and post questions when you need to!

You will need common hand tools and torque wrench, follow the directions when torqueing the bolts/nuts.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The $750 seems fair, and if you have never done a job like this before it might be best to spend the money. It's not a difficult job, and with a little reading and little help you may be able to do it yourself.

The big thing to me is, why did it happen. This is a fresh motor, so maybe it was not assembled correctly. But maybe the head, or the block, or both, were not surfaced true. I'd talk to the PO and find out who the engine builder was. Maybe they will have an idea why it failed so early.

Be aware, if the shop that works on it finds that the block is not square, the $750 figure is going to go up significantly.

Good luck,

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have some old reciepts.. i think the engine rebuild is on there.. i'll see about giving them a call

1 - 5 of 5 Posts