Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 66 Mustang has been in the paint shop since July, and I have been going to see it ever week religously. This week was the first time I have ever seen them working on it when I was there. I got there and they were applying a guide coat for block sanding. I am so excited, I cant wait to walk in there and see it bright red with lemans stripes.

Matt
66 289 coupe
98 GT coupe

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Wow, has painting become like a fine art? I would be expecting a Monet to emerge from that shop after 8 months....or maybe a Michaelangelo....*G*

Seriously, if you take a look at my race car, I built the fiberglass front end, lengthened the rear wheelwells, stripped the entire car to bare metal, did the bodywork, block sanded the car by hand and painted it in R/M SuperMax ....all in my parents garage in less than 3 months of nights and weekends...

And that was shortly after my 21st birthday....and it was the first car I ever painted...

Take a look here at the results after 19 years of storage and racing....not bad...

Methinks your paint shops gurus heads are a bit too big....or their hands are too slow...

Just one gearhead's opinion...

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
A lot of the paint shops now take these jobs only as fillers for when they have a slow period. Mine took 7 months (paint and body) because it was a big job and I was two months late getting the car to the shop, so my restorer had to wait for an opening to come back up in his schedule before he could focus on it. In the meantime, he did bits and pieces as he could.

My Ponies
http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/Mach1painted.jpg http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/65vert.jpg

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
You have to wait for the right shop. I know how that is. My body shop had the car for about 18 months!!! And I was stopping in every other week along the way (when I was not at school). But it was worth the wait, and made some good friends at the body shop.

Shops nowadays make all their money by the panel. Full cars are the last thing they want to get involved with.

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT
Please bring back last post to top!

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Sounds like a big hole in the body and paint business....and you know how holes in the market ache to get filled...

I sure as heck wouldn't want someone else's dream car in my shop for 8 months or 18 months....too many things can go wrong in that time...

The only car I've ever had painted, my street racer, went into the shop devoid of trim and emerged 4 days later with silver grey Imron clearcoat and cost a blazing 600.00.....of course that was 1978...*G*....It only needed minor bodywork (just a few dings to pull and fill) and there was no rust repair...

Personally, if I was in that business, I'd schedule resto jobs like my wife schedules clients for hair and color. I do that to a certain extent with machine shop clients, especially the ones that can't be down for more than a few days...I book a date based on my quote of the job and that space remains clear of other work....the booked client gets my undivided attention for the time allotted and they pay for it whether they use it or not...and only pay what I quote, not time and materials...It's kept a lot of folks from utilities to farmers quite happy, knowing their boom truck or tractor won't be down for days or weeks....considering overhead can cost them in the thousands per day of downtime...

I may have been a bit harsh on the original poster but I hate it when businesses don't put the customer first....

As I posted on the old forum and have done in a couple of instances related to engine work, I'd show up with a trailer and a request for current billing....I'd never reward a business for their lethargy with my hard-earned cash...

Guess I'm just a hard-headed OF who remembers the old days a bit too well...*G*

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts