Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a long time and I'm so annoyed because it is so unorganized and difficult to find a set of black leather late-model seats for my 67 mustang. Sure I could go to [censored] and pay $500 plus an unlisted shipping charge of like $150. Will I F--- up my current interior buy installing an off color seat like charcoal or cloth?

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
junk yard, junk yard, junk yard... dadadada junk yard junk yard.... :)
I don't know what you will find in the way of leather, but you can get a pair of seats for under $100 easily. get them recovered to whatever you want than, or just leave them as-is.

- Jason

·
Registered
69 Posts
you could also check stangnet.com I was looking up there and found some. The prices might not be that much cheaper than ehay, but just keep looking. I just(in the last couple weeks) found gray leather seats from a 94 gt on ehay for $100, I couldn't pass it up.

Matt

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I feel your pain, I went through the same search. I just bought a real nice set of black leather Maxima seats on E-hay for $100, and no shipping because they were local. They look like they should fit with some frame rail surgery, but I haven't done it yet. Bottom line: if your willing to broaden your horizons beyond Mustang seats there's some great deals to be had out there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is a welder needed for the transplant of a Late-model mustang seat? And is it needed for the transplant of all other non-classic mustang seats? Or is there a side step I can take in which I can avoid the use of a welder?

Thanks
Chris

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You can put ANY Ford seats into your classic with just a drill. Use your existing seat tracks. Remove the tracks from the new seats, and using one of the existing holes, drill the seat frame for the other seat track hole, shove a grade 8 bolt/nut into the hole and drop them in. Ford has kept the same seat track width from the early 60's through current.

Look at your local Pic 'N Pull. Usualy a set of seats is in the $45 range. My daughter has '93 Mustang seats in her '69 (bought at a local wrecking yard for $150), I have '93 Mustang GT seats in my '69 sportsroof (bought from the same wrecking yard for $150 and have the adjustable thigh bolsters and electric lombard supports), and my son ad '98 Tempo seats in his '65 (bought from Pic 'N Pull for $45). All the seats were in great shape, but all are cloth. We died them black to match the interiors which were all 3 black.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I have to agree, the Pull Your Part wrecking yards are a great place to find seats but not every city has one and you may have to go several times to find a good pair.

I noticed the driver seats are always gone or trashed.

This is why I am still kicking myself for not grabbing a pair of pristine '89 Mustang GT seats in black and charcoal when I had a chance...

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I went with a pair of really nice probe seats($50) out of a wrecked 90 probe. When I replaced both full floor pans, I just left out the seat risers and added a brace across(for support of the floors) and used the probe tracks. They worked great. Only mod was I had to use a 1" spacer(cut some 3/4 galv pipe for these) on each place where the bolts went thru the floor to get the seats up just a tad. Man, they are so nice, even swmbo likes to ride now...oh yeah... ride,sally ride! :: Get creative, I put the seats back a little farther so I have more room to stretch out! It's your car, fix it so you can enjoy it :D

·
Registered
981 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
You can put ANY Ford seats into your classic with just a drill. Use your existing seat tracks. Remove the tracks from the new seats, and using one of the existing holes, drill the seat frame for the other seat track hole, shove a grade 8 bolt/nut into the hole and drop them in. Ford has kept the same seat track width from the early 60's through current.
Not exactly. While the width is the same some bottoms are uneven. My 2001 Mustang seats have uneven bottoms and they are different drivers to passenger side. I had to make an spacer/adapter to go between the uneven seat bottoms and the 66 track. I believe the 98 and later are like this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts