Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my son being in the USAF & "in the desert" I have the job of restoring his 68 Coupe that he bought right before he left. Well, I've been buying stuff & putting it on with no major problems. I've replaced the stock cam with a hotter one, exhaust, prepping the body for paint after adding the side scoops for a Califorina Special I bought the Eleanor hood as he requested. After putting the hood on & finally after two days of pondering about trimming the hood to fit (which makes it MINE) & getting it right I send him email to show it off. He emails me back from Kuwait to tell me I've BOUGHT THE WRONG HOOD!!! I sent him email pics of it on the car. I think NO at 1st, then go to a site that I know has Eleanor on it & SURE enough I've paid over $600. for the wrong hood! What am I to do? I email him with my shame & tell him I'll buy the CORRECT hood, as I did today... He wanted to know if there was anything we could do other than buy another one & eat the wrong one. I told him not to worry about it. It was MY mistake & I'll buy him the hood he wanted. BTW, he's paying for all this with his weekly checks.
Talk about really messin' up! I felt sick all the next day. But I ordered the CORRECT hood this morning & he called today & I explained everything.
That will knock ya down a notch or two!

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Where did you pay $600 for a glass hood? That was the first in a series of doofi /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Hey Ronnie, Maybe you can put it up at the auction site and post it as being "professionaly trimmed"? Since you are a pro body guy it's the truth and doing scoop holes can be a bear for someone that has never done glass. If the $600 price is the normal retail price for that hood you should be able to get close to that anyway?

G

·
0 Posts
A little up front info. I was an ASE line mechanic for some time, a 20 year aircraft mechanic, & an all-round gear-head since birth. I have been building cars & bikes for close to 30 years. Now, to show you I'm the champ. I have an 8 second car, been sitting some time due to monetary constraints(runs about $150 for 1 day of racing) My nephews & in-laws wanted to give it a listen, I get a good battery, hook it up, mmmmm, cranks a little slow..... backfire???? My cars NEVER have this problem! Hook up the booster... Mmmmmmm, I hooked up the battery backwards & almost got it started!!! Thank God MSD7-AL2's are doofus proof! Anyone got a better one?
70 Cyclone Spoiler 429 SCJ 4:30 Drag-pak
65 Mustang show car one-owner Un-restored
65 Mustang one-owner
66 Mustang 8-second street legal drag car
90 GT next drag car
68 Hurst Olds 455 4-speed
86 SVO
85 Porsche 944
98 Jeep Wrangler
95 F-150
76 20' E-350 motor home
Too many parts cars to mention

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
That's what you gotta do. I can tell you from experience that you always get more for your items on ehay then you expect. I bet you could easily turn it around for $400 plus shipping if you already did the sanding and cutting. Shoot it with primer as an extra incentive and you won't be out nearly $600.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Don't sweat the small stuff Cruzer. We have something in common...sons, and. or, .brothers with mustangs, hehe. As I read your post, I couldn't help but recount the difficulties my bro and I have went through....thru the years of car heaven and hell between the two of us. Enjoy the times you have with your son, the hood is really insignificant as a comparison. However.....you KNOW that.

Danf

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NPD $549.95 + tax. The hood is the best made I've ever seen. Just the wrong one /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Post a pic or a description and I'd bet you'll be able to get the lion's share of your money out of it...Good luck ! Dickson

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
What color is the gel coat? I've been trying to figure out how many different sources there are for glass parts and it seems that there are only 3 (and 2 only do hoods). There's a perception that where you buy it makes it better but it seems many of them are all coming from the same source...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts