Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to turn up the boost on my Nitrous Fri night.... didn't work out too well. I did a fair launch, seemed to go pretty good. I looked over at the Display at the finish line, saw 12.7 @ 111 mph. Then I looked in my rear view mirror and saw nothing but smoke billowing out the entire back of the car. The track guys pulled me off to the side of the track but it was too late, I laid down antifreeze down half the track. It took them 45 minutes to clean the lane and re-open the racing. I've been slowly turning the boost up with my aluminum heads. The head gasket let go in the front of cylinder #1 and emptied my coolant system on to the track. My buddies watching said it was a Hell of a show. Oh, well, gave me something to do this weekend.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sorry to hear about the head gasket, but , you know what they say...Kids and their toys...

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Don'tcha hate it when that happens! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif That's one of them racin' deals.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It could have been worse. You could have ventilated the crankcase and emptied your entire oiling system onto the track like I did once./forums/images/icons/blush.gif Scott

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Hey, look at the bright side...I've run 12.0's at 110 in the race car with the secondaries shut off.....

So, with N20, you've got an 11 second car there...if you can hook it all up...*G*

My nightmare reading your post would have been getting some of that coolant under my slicks....choose which guardrail you want to ride *G*

Do you have studs holding the heads down? In my younger days when using 13:1 CR in the 289/302 engines, I ran studs and o-ringed the block....no gasket problems to report...

G

·
I have done all of the above & then some. Smacked the guard rail with a broken Eagle rod on my B'day. BUT, I have never had a nitrous problem. I've run anything from a 50 shot to a 350 with a 500 fogger, never burnt a plug. Ran methanol & nitrous, forgot to open the bottle & liquid locked the engine5 years ago & still use the head gaskets on my 466. Main thing is, you aren't hurt & either is the car. Head gasket isn't too bad & aluminum is an easy weld.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Had the same problem bought a Isky o-ring cutter did the block never happened again,( this was a stock short block 340 that went 6.70 1/8 mile). Robert

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Had the same problem bought a Isky o-ring cutter did the block never happened again,( this was a stock short block 340 that went 6.70 1/8 mile).

I hear ya!

Had a roller cam, 13.6 C/R, aluminum rod motor, first pass down the track, melted the head gaskets because of lean jetting. Finally settled on 96/98 jets in an 830D.P.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
bought a Isky o-ring cutter

Hey, they still make those?? I must have an antique *G*...made in the 70's...still have the original box it came in too...remember when Isky ruled?? *G*

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi Pat I dont know if they make em anymore,mine also is in it original box. One of the neatest tools I ever bought,and it worked. Robert

1 - 11 of 11 Posts