Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After debating for a week or so, I decided to cut out the front drivers side fender apron, that was welded in by the body shop which I had taken the car to for metal replacement.

There were two problems, 1 the apron was too high and the fender would not lay down properly, 2 the rad support at the top of the fender was 1 inch too far forward.

He's also kind of messed up the new repop fenders, I gave him. The fenders were not laying down, so hammer and dollied them at the cowl, (down) so it appeared that the fenders did indeed fit.

Anyway I have begun, if necessary I am going to take them (all four aprons) out and redo them to get the fenders to sit properly.

I'd take it back, but I don't want him f...ing with the car anymore.

When I talked to him today, he made the excuse, that I did not have the new hood. The car had the old hood, so that was lame.

Anyway, I was worried that he had the frame rail too far forward on one side, at least that is okay, just the rad support was tilted forward

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Well that just sucks...sometimes body shops are not the answer to restoration projects. They rather have the in and out the door, collect the money, collision cars and not the restos that sit in the corner forever.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
This is why I do all my own (and my friend's) sheetmetal replacement. I won't even let a body shop touch my body work. Most simply cannot be trusted these days on these old cars. Most body shops want the new cars and quick insurance money maker jobs. They have to care to do a good job and most simply do not anymore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts