Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah that's right.....everytime I go in the garage to work on the cars...I turn on the lights, then I turn on the breaker for the compressor.

Today I did the same thing and then changed 8 tire/rim and put the wheels from the 65 on the 68 and visa versa. I used my impact to put on the lugs which is always up at 100+ ft/lbs.

Then I went for a drive in the 68 with the slightly smaller tires on it. 1/2 mile later...the back tire fell off.

:loco:

Walk home, get the truck, get a jack, find all the lug nuts on the side of the road along the way. Put it back together and drive it back to the garage. Start trying to figure out what went wrong....and turns out I had left the compressor on last time...so I actually turned it off so by the time I put the last wheel on I was running 60ft lbs :skullnbones:

Luckily the only damage is scaring to the inside of the wheel and I have extra wheels since I have a set for the track.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ohh and earlier in the day when I was attempting to bend back some of the front lips that got bent out because of the oversized front tires and two guys riding in it during the test drive....I dented the fender a bit.

It has not been a good fracking day in the garage.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
This is why us poor bastards just use a lug wrench and stop when we hear the metal-on-metal slip.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose the bright side is.....

I like the look of a 245 40 17 in the front....I'm glad I did the swap. I don't think I would have like the 245 45 17 in the front now. So all I need to do now is decide how to handle the rear since I think the 255 40 17 is a touch too small for the rear....I might up the ante and go with a 9 inch wheel a 275 since I have space.

But....it is now driveable as it sits.

The 65 is however...not ;)

I am surprised though....a 255 50 17 rear and a 255 45 17 front actually do physically fit on the car. Just try not to hit any potholes ;)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Maybe you should make it a day of garage rest and go have a beer or something...collect your thoughts and try again tomorrow.

MrFreeze

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nick you don't need to hear this (not right now anyway), but perhaps for the benefit of someone else, it's simply good practise to finish tightening lug nuts with a torque wrench.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,644 Posts
I don't see the revocation, just a "DOH!" If you worked for a tire store that adventure would be called a "wheel off". Think about why there is a commonly known term among "pros" for that.
Some of the best tire/wheel men in the world work in the pits of Nascar. I hardly ever watch that stuff but I've still seen them have a wheel off at least twice. It happens to pretty much everbody who does much tire changing, sooner or later.
Spendy little buggers but you can buy torque adapters for your impact so you'll KNOW they are correct without swapping to a torque wrench.
May not be the best idea, but I never shut my compressor off, just the main valve.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I just checked the torque on my Shelby 10 spokes 2 days ago with a (ah-hem) manual torque wrench, and two lugs on one wheel were loose. Glad to hear it wasn't all too bad.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I did that once on my 77' t/a about 15 years ago. Cruisin 60mph down the expressway, and BAM, the wheel comes off and goes flying past me like a rocket, straight into the front of some ladies brand new jag. I skid down the road on my traction bar for probably 50 feet. Broke all the lugs off my hub and scared the living crap outta me. Definitely not cool.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Been there done that

I didn't get a wheel-off but I did get a serious wobble on a TR6 once. The real story was when I put my wife's show tires on last year just before she took my mother-in-law to the airport in Rochester 2 1/2 hours a way. Half way there she thought the car felt funny and pulled off into a gas station. One lug gone, 4 almost off - threads mangled. A cop helped her get it tightened and during the conversation got the mother-in-law angle. Just as she was saying thanks and good-by he asked her "how are you and your husband getting along these days?"

I don't necessarily use a torque wrench except at or before a track day but I always use a manual final torque after my impact to make sure they are evenly torqued. I have warped several discs on my European cars by not torquing them evenly. The trick for me now is making sure I get all 4!

Your title gets major points for not being physically able to keep from clicking on it.

Some lessons are learned the hard way - bet that will never happen again.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah that's right.....everytime I go in the garage to work on the cars...I turn on the lights, then I turn on the breaker for the compressor.

Today I did the same thing and then changed 8 tire/rim and put the wheels from the 65 on the 68 and visa versa. I used my impact to put on the lugs which is always up at 100+ ft/lbs.

Then I went for a drive in the 68 with the slightly smaller tires on it. 1/2 mile later...the back tire fell off.

:loco:

Walk home, get the truck, get a jack, find all the lug nuts on the side of the road along the way. Put it back together and drive it back to the garage. Start trying to figure out what went wrong....and turns out I had left the compressor on last time...so I actually turned it off so by the time I put the last wheel on I was running 60ft lbs :skullnbones:

Luckily the only damage is scaring to the inside of the wheel and I have extra wheels since I have a set for the track.
Least you found your lug nuts lol.. :grin:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I feel ya, I once used the floor jack to jack up a flat front tire on a FWD car that was sitting on about a 20% grade. Then proceeded in watching the car and jack zip down the hill. Fortunately it didn't hit anything and the only damage was a crunch in the fender from the jack handle.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Don't feel bad. Everytime I work on mine I always make more work for me to do later. Sometimes it's fun sometimes not but I always learn something.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts