Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the 65 Fastback on the road. This is the stripped tin can we pulled out of the Western KS pasture where the owner had previously pulled it out of a salvage yard in about 1978. Pieced together virtually every part from any source possible. Test drives just fine and turning left was great. Turning right--an 18 wheeler with trailer could turn shorter. Original AX gearbox turned smooth and most suspension parts were either new or rebuilt. All measurements were dead on except the pitman arm appeared to be about 10 degrees off from pointing straight back and parallel to the frame. After many phone calls and input from a half dozen gearheads, I was asked if the car had ever been in a wreck. This was an unknown but I knew the right a pillar had substantial damage that could also have involved the right front spindle. Two guys said to check the sector shaft. We pulled it and compared it to a perfect one from a 6 cyl. box. (All 65/66 Mustang sector shafts are identical no matter what engine was in the car). Right above the pitman arm splines you could see a slight twist in the splines. One of the older Ford bodyman said that he had seen this several times as a hidden damage that would show up later. Put the 6 cyl sector shaft in and it turns perfect. I was relieved that "I hadn't screwed up the steering".

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Whatever "hit" was involved was pretty significant, take it from me.
I've seen thousands of sector shafts, only a couple twisted like that.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

1 - 2 of 2 Posts