Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my car down for the longest period yet, a little over a month. One little fix leads to the next, yada yada yada....but, I'm always fighting putting it back together and going for a run. I really want to today, man it's awesome out...but there are too many little things left before I really want to get it back off the stands.

I don't get how some people can let their cars stay down for years on end and not go crazy.. :: I sure as hell couldn't....too damn much fun to just just let sit around and go to waste. :no:

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Who said we don't go crazy?? :shocked2: :paranoid:
SWMBO say's I lost my mind after year 4, so now that it's year 10 and I still have a few things to finish, there must not be anything left......Whhhhhhoooppppie :rofl:

I have been able to drive it since last April though :biggrin:

·
Registered
210 Posts
How we do it.... just barely hold on to our sanity, forget what it feels like to drive the car, and take as much solace in the fact that insurance is only $10 every 6 months.

Why we do it.... For me it is a job that demands a 60 hour work week to stay afloat, an hour commute each way, 15+ hours of graduate school each week, and a four year old and one year old waiting patiently for me to return from work each night.

It was 2.5 years to finish phase 1 of the restoration. I drove it for two months (55 miles) this summer, and she is now back on stands for phase 2 (hopefully much less than 2.5 years, but I am not banking on it).

*anyone have a little violin I can play while I whine*

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Sometimes it is hard to have a project drag on for an extended period of time, which was why I had bought the '64.5 coupe while I worked on my '66. I liked being able to jump in it at anytime to take it for a spin.

One of the reasons I sold it was because I thought if I didn't have a drivable Mustang it would get my ass in gear to finish one of the restorations. Unfortunately, life gets in the way sometimes and other things take precedence over the Mustangs... :wall:

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
It depends on many things...like family, waiting for parts, parts not working the way they were stated or a delay of 4 months for a flywheel that eventually did not work only to buy a more expensive one (5 months total), buying a rack which was designed to work only to have the seller sell you one with different year parts (9 month wait) and the saga continues...latest - broke finger in a turkey bowl game which does not allow you to sand and eventually you live vicariously through your friends here. :highfive:

It helps to have friends going through the same situation...much like AA or some other exclusive club.

As a wise person once said this too shall pass...

Even if it seems like it is dragging on forever. In my case it has. For me, I'll be glad and have more renewed desire when January comes.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I here what your saying. That's been the feeling ever time I take a car out of commission that's running great for a small or large upgrade. Some guys (my self included, :eek: 64 GTO) have bought cars that came in boxes and pieces and have not been able to drive them till there back together :wall: :chainsaw: :horror:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, at least you will usually have "a bird in the hand" while keeping 2 in the bush. :winkgrin: Translation....having one to drive is a great motivator to the others being worked on. For those of us peasants able to afford only one classic....well, we just have to go without. :sick:

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
Well,at lease you will usually have "a bird in the hand"
Yep! Brian has some nice cars. He can step in a pile of dog crap and come out smelling like a rose. You know Kevin he also has Buddha(Look Bri I spelled it right:putz) powers! If you rub is belly his luck passes on to you. :rofl: :joker:

Troy :winkgrin: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
963 Posts
You know Kevin he also has Buddha powers! If you rub his belly his luck passes on to you. :rofl: :joker:

Troy :winkgrin: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And if you rub just a little lower :rolleyes: you'll really get lucky, big boy. :horror:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts