Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title reads. I'm in the process of torqueing the bolts on my 69 351w new water pump. 12 - 15 foot pounds is what the manual calls out. If I use my inch pound torque wrench and set it to 168 inch pounds (14 foot pounds if I converted it correctly). Will that be ok? Or should go out and purchase a foot pound torque wrench for better accuracy?

Thanks

·
Spammer Hammer
9,205 Posts
You can, but you have to be careful with that. What is the range of the torque wrench you have? If you are way on the upper end of the scale it might be more out of tolerance at those levels. For a WP, I’d say you will be ok.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Up here in Canuckistan most auto part store loan out tools, might be different in thr US of A. Check it out though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can, but you have to be careful with that. What is the range of the torque wrench you have? If you are way on the upper end of the scale it might be more out of tolerance at those levels. For a WP, I’d say you will be ok.
My inch pound torque wrench range is 25 - 250.

And thanks to everyone for the responses.

Right now I'm sitting in "watch for leaks" mode before I start her. Maybe tonight or in the morning.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Common sense torque will work in this instance. Snug with a 3/8 ratchet. I never owned a torque wrench until I got paranoid by forum posts:wink:

·
Registered
20,567 Posts
On stuff like that if I don’t have a torque wrench I place my palm over the center mechanism with my fingers wrapped around it. I don’t use the handle. Probably close or at least it keeps you from really cranking down on it.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
787 Posts
Going to 168in-lb is fine and will work just fine. Early in my wrenching life, decided to get a torque wrench after breaking a couple of bolts on different projects and it sucked removing those broken bolts.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Better question first.....Dude, where are you located?!?? Are you even in the U.S. ??!???

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Common sense! I know, an oxymoron. Not to the OP

·
Registered
601 Posts
I may be in the minority here, but my thoughts are no torque wrench is better than a crappy/cheap/inaccurate torque wrench. I say this because I had one that was notorious for over-tightening, especially when you were doing a uniform torquing with multiple settings, or hitting a torque a second time to verify. I hit my breaking point when it it pulled threads on a hard to remove part, so I gave it away with the warning it should never be trusted, plus I don't ever, ever want to see it again (my conscience would have never let me sell it). Immediately after I gave it away, I got on eBay, and found a Snap On torque wrench to replace it, and have never looked back. As a hobbyist, I can't justify Snap On tools, but when it comes to torquing something, I don't want to compromise.

PS: Unfortunately the wrench was a very common name brand that started shipping its tools overseas. PM me if you want the model number as it is still sold to this day (with a lot of negative reviews).

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Just don't strip out the bolts going into the alum timing chain cover....theres that fine line between tight enough and yelling oh sh_t lol....!!! A cheap harbor freight or used one is better than none till you get the feel of tight enough.

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
Yeah, I changed a lot of water pumps in my yoot,
but it never occurred to me to grab a torque wrench.
Same here. Only had one or two bolt issues. Usually corroded and
needed replacement before reassembly. Good quality bolts, in the
size used on water pumps, you'd have to really crank on to get them
to snap. If you chase the bolt holes problems are unlikely.

·
Dimples
3,882 Posts
I had the opposite problem. Made it 25 years of classic Mustang ownership and never had an inch-pound wrench. Borrowed one from a buddy when we set up my 8.8 rear end last year. I’m probably due for a purchase.

Up here in Canuckistan most auto part store loan out tools, might be different in thr US of A. Check it out though.
My YouTube buddy AvE would appreciate your skookum Canuckistan reference.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts