Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
In my stable: 1969 Mustang notchback, 1970 mustang notchback, 1970 sports roof.
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always wanted to get involved with a club and do autocross with my vintage mustang, just never really knew where to start and was intimidated at the thought of joining an event where I didn't know anyone. A coworker gave a lunch & learn presentation last fall on autocross and road racing because he is involved and that was my sign, I had an in. I connected with him and he kept me in the loop for when the new season started and I finally went and got involved.

I had the most fun i'd probably ever had in my life. The sports car club was full of the nicest people I probably ever met! Everyone was welcoming and inviting and they all loved my ride! Most everyone had modern cars but I felt right at home. I'm fortunate to live less than an hour away from my local club that runs on a local small road course, not just cones in a parkinglot!

Here is an Arial view of the course. Affinity circuit in southern oregon.

Plant Land lot Grass Asphalt Urban design

Here's a candid shot my dad took of me getting ready to hop in and go grid.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior

My 69 has a mild built explorer 302. I built the motor myself last summer. bored 30 over with DSS forged pistons, Scat rods, AFR 165 renegade heads, Weiand intake, TFS stage 1 roller cam, Comp pro magnum XD roller rockers, 1.08 Autolite 4100, summit headers, duraspark II conversion with a Performance Distributor setup distributor. I have a T5 manual transmission, with the typical suspension mods: Shelby drop, opentracker roller perches, blueprinted upper arm, lowering springs, lowering leafs in the rear, heavy swaybar.

The thing I was always worried about was the brakes. I'm still rocking 4 wheel drums. They are all new with porterfield performance shoes and they actually did really well! During practice we only ran 3 hot laps but the main event was 5 hot continuous laps, and the brakes were always there. In the straights I was probably hitting 65mph and slowing to 20, never experienced brake fade at all! In-fact my limiting factor was actually the tires! Everyone said if I had some 200 treadwear tires I'd probably really be able to kill it out there. The non retracting factory shoulder belts where actually very useful at keeping me planted too!

Overall my experience was above and beyond what I imagined. They car was dead reliable, drove it there, raced the whole weakend, and drove home. No issues at all! Can't wait to get back out there! If you've been on the fence, just DO IT!

Now enjoy some pictures!

Sky Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Lined up in Grid with all the modern sports cars

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

Excited and nervous to run! In the back you can espy a 68 coupe. He was the only other CAMT car for the weekend and boy did he kick my butt. That thing had a 347, T5,
And INDEPENDENT REAR SUSPENSION!! that rear end setup alone cost more than my whole car!

Car Sky Wheel Vehicle Tire

On the Launch pad awaiting my turn!!!

Sky Plant Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

A shot of me coming down the straight

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1966 GT 4spd
2,049 Posts
Love it and love the patina as well!!

Chris

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I autocrossed my Factory Five Cobra once, yeah like you a good time. You get to drive your car in a way you should never drive it on the street.
The course is amazing with room to make mistakes. My experience was at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana CA. The course was defined on the outside with K-rail barriers. I had a 270 degree spin mid-course and finished up staring at one of the K-rails but stopped 10 feet short. Exhilarating to say the least with so much going through your mind while still spinning.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5, 331 stroker, TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear, 3.55 gears
1,773 Posts
Congratulations...I've been toying with the idea as well...you may have just convinced me. Mind saying what the cost was to run there. Some places are pretty expensive.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I glad you had a great experience! Looks like a wonderful venue. Remember autocross is about knowing your car and driver skills all things equal. There are some excellent autocrossing and road course driving books out there to learn skills. Then it's on to trying and practicing those skills. On short courses drum brakes will work fine with those performance shoes. I ran them and recaps (Lol) when I first started.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
6,187 Posts
This is what owning a Mustang is all about in my opinion, enjoying it.

Reactions: capemustang

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Sounds like you have a lot of great parts. Tires are the big equalizer on those type of courses. Back in my day I ran A008R or A001 R’s, I forget. Anyway, street radials won’t get it done. Have fun and watch the fast guys when they run.

edit - to add I still have the factory 4 wheel manual drum brakes and just upgraded to the dual master cylinder several years ago, so back when I ran the car it had the single jar MC. Never had a problem with braking.

Back in the 1400’s I used to run my ‘66 hardtop in the Pro-Solo courses. It was all fun and well until I ran my car and was easily beating the ‘regulars’ with their trailered cars with roll cages, etc. The inspectors kept moving me up in class until I was literally running my daily driver Mustang with upgraded stock type parts against race cars….rant over - carry on.

·
Registered
114 Posts
aaaaaaye way to get out there!

Mine did the same in January, also with porterfields and 4drum. I caught a lot of flak from all the guys just out of pure shock :ROFLMAO:

Felt pretty good with some new springs, updated dampers, and a panhard bar. With some minor/cheap changes they seem to do pretty well especially for getting seat time. Next event is in another three weeks so will hopefully find out what the tires are like when its not 45* out lol. Hit me up if you would like some information on tires to get you going (without breaking a bank). Your local guys should have some good knowlege on tire compound and sizes too.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sounds like you have a lot of great parts. Tires are the big equalizer on those type of courses. Back in my day I ran A008R or A001 R’s, I forget. Anyway, street radials won’t get it done. Have fun and watch the fast guys when they run.

edit - to add I still have the factory 4 wheel manual drum brakes and just upgraded to the dual master cylinder several years ago, so back when I ran the car it had the single jar MC. Never had a problem with braking.

Back in the 1400’s I used to run my ‘66 hardtop in the Pro-Solo courses. It was all fun and well until I ran my car and was easily beating the ‘regulars’ with their trailered cars with roll cages, etc. The inspectors kept moving me up in class until I was literally running my daily driver Mustang with upgraded stock type parts against race cars….rant over - carry on.
I loved my A008Rs!

·
Registered
69 Mustang Grande Coupe, 302 with GT40 heads Edelbrock Manifold and Holley Sniper EFI
87 Posts
Congrats, that looks like so much fun.. Maybe when I get my project finished I might try it out. Again Congrats

·
Premium Member
9,269 Posts
I'm thinking what's improving your drum braking system is your choice in shoe materials. Quality shoes, like the Porterfields or Hawk will greatly make up for what can be thought of as insufficient braking components (drums) for "sporty" driving. I didn't see a Monte Carlo bar, why is this? That will add a nice layer of rigidity to the front end. Less twist, more direct input from steering. It was Auto-X in the 60s, that led me to SCCA competition in the late 60s and early 70s. Enjoy and who knows where it might lead you........?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I am right there with you for all the emotion felt lining up for your first track day! I did my first event last year, and I am hooked... but an AutoX is my next adventure so that I can do more of them in a year than a full on $$$ track day. And that track looks pretty nice for an AutoX track... nicer than your typical cones in a parking lot!

Your drum brakes are more than capable at these events too... just might want to consider some future upgrades to stiffen the chassis and reduce body roll as you get more practice. Its always a hoot seeing the older cars run amongst all the modern stuff and in some cases able to give them a run for their money!

Looks like a lot of fun and glad you also had fun! That's the whole point, right?!? 😉

·
Registered
In my stable: 1969 Mustang notchback, 1970 mustang notchback, 1970 sports roof.
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Congratulations...I've been toying with the idea as well...you may have just convinced me. Mind saying what the cost was to run there. Some places are pretty expensive.
That event was 80 bucks, but it was one of their higher profile events. I'm running again over memorial day weekend and its only $40 to enter the race.

I'm thinking what's improving your drum braking system is your choice in shoe materials. Quality shoes, like the Porterfields or Hawk will greatly make up for what can be thought of as insufficient braking components (drums) for "sporty" driving. I didn't see a Monte Carlo bar, why is this? That will add a nice layer of rigidity to the front end. Less twist, more direct input from steering. It was Auto-X in the 60s, that led me to SCCA competition in the late 60s and early 70s. Enjoy and who knows where it might lead you........?
I actually do have a monte carlo bar! the picture of the motor was taken right after I installed it, hadn't yet reinstalled the bar.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts