Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals. I found a 1982 Mercury Marquis with a 302 and AOD. It was sitting on the side of this house so I knocked on the door and an Older guy (Maybe 80) Said he would be willing to sell it. Said he starts the car about once a month and has not been driven for about 18 months. Car fired up. He said he would take 100.00 for the car. If this will work, I can give this motor to another VMFM who is young, living at home and has no money. And his stang is motor less. What rebuilt kit will I have to put in this tranny (if it will work) to handle my motor and maybe 425 hp?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Dogestang has some power in front of his AOD. I wonder if the tranny has any modding? Nick, any comments?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Remind us what engine you're building. Also be very honest with yourself and ask, "self, will this engine really have 425 HP, or am I dreaming?"

425 HP is a TON of power. The only way you're going to get there with a small block is with a stroker (if less than 351 CI) and a lot of expensive "go fast" parts, in and out of the engine.

Then after you're brutally honest with yourself about how much HP and torque your engine will really put out, THEN figure out what has to be behind it.

Case in point ... my very healthy 289 probably has between 275-300 flywheel HP. It has a "junkyard" '82 AOD behind it, and has for the last 60k miles, and over 40 passes at the drag strip.

What I'm getting at, is that that transmission will bolt up to and work "as is" behind most small blocks. You only need to start throwing a ton of money at it, if you've already thrown 2 tons of money at an engine.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is my project. The motor is getting done now as we speak. I have a 289 hipo with extra head work, bigger cam, different intake, try Y headers 650 holley carb and its been bored. Im not the mechanic, just the driver!!!!my neighbor is a mechanic and he is building the motor. He is a chevy mechanic and has done fords but not many. I wanted to restore my car with a 15,000.00 budget. Once I got this car stripped to nothing, I decided to do everything. At the end of the project if I have any money left or if I decide to just spend the extra 2,000.00 on a paxton supercharger I want to make sure that my tranny will hold. So I think with the supercharger, I will be well over 400hp. Let me know if I am thinking incorrectly. Thanks for all of your help, without it I would be stressing out during this process.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
So let's assume the 289 is going to have 300 HP. Can a supercharger add 100+ HP? This I don't know (I'm supercharger challenged).

Sounds, though, like the SC is down the road a bit, anyways, from your post. In all likelihood, that AOD would work with just throwing a shift kit and a higher stall converter in it. This would help keep you within your budget. Then when you get to the supercharger, add the cost of the AOD upgrade to the supercharger project.

Just throwing out some thoughts. I could also understand if you just wanted it done now and just forget about it, and scratch it off the list of things to have to worry about in the future.

In any event, the AOD will bolt up to your block (assumming it's a 6 bolt bell housing block ... if it's the early 5 bolt ... I think you can scrap the entire AOD idea). Be sure when you go to have the engine balanced, that it's done with an AOD flexplate. I had my 289 balanced with both a C4 AND an AOD flexplate, because I was still on the fence back when we were building my engine (the C4 flexplate is on a shelf under my work bench).

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your help. That's what I was searching for. Down the road on this project is this summer. I have three guys helping me and two body shops. This thing should be done by this summer. Once again, thanks

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
This is my project. The motor is getting done now as we speak.
Yay.
I have a 289 hipo with extra head work,
Compression will probably be too high for boost. You are nearing threshhold, something will break.
bigger cam, different intake, try Y headers 650 holley carb and its been bored.
Wat cam? What intake? I hope you mean the engine has been bored and not the 650. The 650 is good, go with a mechanical secondary double pumper. Don't try the Y's, used long tubes. The Tri Y's have smaller primaries. you want something a little bigger. With a supercharger, its nice to go with a single plane intake like the Victor Jr. Cam, there are so many to choose from. I spoke to Craig Conley on the mechanical lifter issue, he recommend against them with the supercharger when I ordered my Paxton. But, I do not know why.
Im not the mechanic, just the driver!!!!my neighbor is a mechanic and he is building the motor. He is a chevy mechanic and has done fords but not many.
You are not just the driver, you are the owner!!! Own your car, know your car. As we speak you should be over there learning about your engine. He might be an excellent engine man but telling me he's a Chevy mechanic and that he hasn't done many Fords does not make me more confident he will build a nice Ford engine.
I wanted to restore my car with a 15,000.00 budget.
Very possible.
Once I got this car stripped to nothing, I decided to do everything.
And do everything well.
At the end of the project if I have any money left or if I decide to just spend the extra 2,000.00 on a paxton supercharger I want to make sure that my tranny will hold.
Automatics tend to downshift "automatically". If you are slowing down, and the tranny downshifts, like through a turn, the boost will rise with the rpms. There is nothing wrong with wanting a supercharger. With today's prices they are more affordable than ever.
So I think with the supercharger, I will be well over 400hp. Let me know if I am thinking incorrectly.
"well over 400hp" is close to 500hp. you're looking at maybe close to or around 400hp.
Thanks for all of your help, without it I would be stressing out during this process.
No problem, glad to help out a fellow member. Take it as you will. I am giving you good information here. You build the car as a whole car. Each part has a relation to all the others. You wouldn't want to use drag slicks in a road race. You get me? Do the research before you start cutting and drilling, and buying parts. Keep the questions coming and don't give up. You gotta start somewhere.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am learning, and I just spoke in general. I have a 650 double pumper and my car stock had 271 hp. I have other hobbies that keep me busy. This motor is in good hands and he explains as he goes along. We have a mutual friend who had him build a pulling truck and this truck is impressive. I chose my neighbor for trust, not for cost. Their will be no corners cut on this project. I am asking questions that I am sure he already knows. Doesn't hurt to do the research myself. I have seen him build Chevy to BMW and everything in between, but chevy is his passion. I do appreciate the advise.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I have a 650 double pumper and my car stock had 271 hp.
Years ago I read a dyno article that compared various Mustang engines, and real world horsepower figures were dramatically lower. I wish I bookmarked it, but I do remember that the 289 HiPo dyno'd under 200HP. (I don't know if it was a flywheel figure or not) In fact, even the Boss 302 dyno'd less than a stock EFI 5.0.

·
7,065 Posts
To some extent you'll need some luck for the junkyard AOD to work for you. The early AOD's had some notorious weak spots that got worked out over the years. 1982 is an early transmission. The fact it's a V8 is good, but a later one would be better. I'd AGAIN urge you to go the Baumann Engineering site and read up on the differences between AOD transmissions.

If you limit your tire size in back, that will help. If you can't get traction, you won't be able to tear it up as easily.

The paxton units I've seen dynoed have been somewhat disappointing. Theoretically, a supercharger can add power at a ratio of it's absolute boost over atmospheric pressure.

If it makes 6 psi for example, potential power increase would be (6+14.7)/14.7=1.41 or 141% of the non-supercharged horsepower more or less (probably less). However, the tuning on a supercharged engine seems to be as important as the boost itself. Good tuning seems to be easier to get/maintain/optimize with a computer controled FI engine (like a late model 5.0).

In any case...that 271 number was really just marketing hype. With the stock heads and try-y's you'd be lucky to see 220 on a chassis dyno NA or 310 with 6 psi boost. That's just a wild-ass guess...but it's a much more realistic goal than your 450 without more cubes and better heads.

Phil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts