Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after having the car for about 2 1/2 months, I finally got started on restoring it. I haven't done much, but I've at least done something. I had to wait because I needed to get a welder, torch and associated gas bottles. I have started practicing on my welding technique and started cutting out some of the old sheetmetal. By the way, MIG welding isn't that difficult to learn. I was pleasantly surprised at how my practice welds turned out. I still want to practice some more before I actually start welding on my 'stang. Now I just have to clean up the garage so I can have some room to work and get rid of some of the fire hazards.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Is your car a coupe, sportsroof, or convertible? can't tell from your sig or profile...

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
how do you intend to cut the outer sheetmetal? i'm curious because i'll be starting some sheetmetal repair this winter and intend to use my plasma cutter. however, i've seen tech articles that recommend using air shears or a reciprocating saw. i assume the authors of these articles have access to plasma cutters and i wonder why that's not the preferred method. have you done any research on this?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
remember to look out for where the fuel/brake lines are. I think it depends on what is available to the shop and what technique they like to use. I done have the cash for a plasma cutter and bound a cut off saw and air chisel worked fine for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts