Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just assembled a new engine and forgot to degree the cam. Doh! Is this a huge problem? Should I go back and do this before I put it in the car? The dampner, timing chain cover and water pump are all installed.

I've seen people change cams all the time without degreeing the cam. I guess the engines run fine, but just not at optimum? How much does this help?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I don't know how much it helps, but the last two cams i put in i did not degree them and they run fine and many people never do. I'm sure some people are going to suggest that you take it back apart, but i probably wouldn't.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cam is a Ford Motorsport X303

·
Registered
180 Posts
I checked mine at install time and it was right on (As another poster stated mine was ground 4 degrees advanced)...I probably wouldn't worry about it unless you wanted to offset it for a reason as long as you have a good quality timing chain....I have heard stories of the cheap chains being off.....

·
Registered
607 Posts
I spent the money to degree a new Crane, it was right on, just like you would expect with computer controlled machining.

Don't worry about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts