Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Throw in some excessive toe-in adjustment :p. Messed around with wheel alignment yesterday and today. I got rid of the GW S-23's for SD Performance springs. I had 4.5 degree caster and -1.5 camber and 1/16 toe but after an evening of driving it still didn't feel right to me. I ended up dialing it back to 3 degrees caster and - 1 degree camber. What may feel right for the track may not feel right for the street so I dialed it back. I didn't touch the toe and decided to drive around the block. As soon as I turned from my driveway to get on the street I knew something was amiss. I could turn the wheel with my baby finger, it felt like power steering. As I turned the wheel to go around a turn I could hear the squeal from the tires. I babied it back home and got out to look at the front wheels. I was surprised to see the excessive toe-in and my steering wheel was way off. Got the gauge out and re-set the toe to 1/8th and went for an hour run. What a difference, it was a thrill to drive. Big thanks to @Huskinhano and @patrickstapler for guidance. Both guys have always responded whenever I reached out. Great guys and great forum.

·
Premium Member
11,423 Posts
4 deg "negative" caster , 0 camber and 0 toe. That will feel real easy

·
Spammer Hammer
10,911 Posts
I would certainly agree a track setup would be too aggressive for the street. I use John’s performance street specs for the street.

·
Registered
21,365 Posts
@Caper50 thanks for the shout out! The whole point with me, I don't claim to be a expert but rather someone who thought why can't I do it after being in a predicament in not knowing a shop to trust. It became very apparent how beneficial it is doing your own set up and fine tuning it. It was a real eye opener to me. This is why I get on my soap box and tell anyone who will give me time.

I know exactly how you felt on that 1 hour drive. After I had my car done I was pretty happy with it except for one funny little quirk. I had what felt like a sudden momentary over steer when making a turn until the chassis got settled and all was fine. Also while just driving straight I had a little bit of a yaw. It was best driving with my finger tips instead of my hands. Just the slightest movement on the steering wheel would make the car drift a little bit. I suspected either a toe adjustment or probably a issue with the rear suspension. I tried several settings on toe, even experimented with some toe out. At 1/16" toe in seemed to work best but not perfect.

It wasn't until I changed my leaf springs. They were the problem. My first test drive was going to be around the block which very quickly turned into a 40 minute test drive! Wow is all I could say. I must have hit the right toe setting for my car. All my issues were gone. It just drove fantastic.

The more modifications you do to your suspension, the more you have to gain by making your own adjustments. Every car is going to be different as the driver.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, what were the end specs? Apologies, if I missed the final numbers.
Ken, right now I have +3 for caster, -1 camber and 1/8th toe. I might try 1/16th later on. +3 caster also seems to be a sweet spot to keep the wheel centered in the wheel opening. I tried +4 but it starts to crowd the front edge of the fender, I didn't rub but I didn't like the look. The camber kit and adjustable struts rods were worth every dime.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,949 Posts
Be careful with toe on the highway - what feels great on a city street might suddenly turn real scary on the highway! Too much toe will cause the car to wander into divots/cracks/invisible holes in the road and will get you sucked into semi truck slipstreams like crazy. I've scared the hell out of myself that way before.

1/8" toe shouldn't be too much for stock steering. Just a caution, is all.

My rack and pinion does not like more than 3/32" toe - drives great with less toe, but it is AWFUL with 1/8"!

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Caper50 thanks for the shout out! The whole point with me, I don't claim to be a expert but rather someone who thought why can't I do it after being in a predicament in not knowing a shop to trust. It became very apparent how beneficial it is doing your own set up and fine tuning it. It was a real eye opener to me. This is why I get on my soap box and tell anyone who will give me time.

I know exactly how you felt on that 1 hour drive. After I had my car done I was pretty happy with it except for one funny little quirk. I had what felt like a sudden momentary over steer when making a turn until the chassis got settled and all was fine. Also while just driving straight I had a little bit of a yaw. It was best driving with my finger tips instead of my hands. Just the slightest movement on the steering wheel would make the car drift a little bit. I suspected either a toe adjustment or probably a issue with the rear suspension. I tried several settings on toe, even experimented with some toe out. At 1/16" toe in seemed to work best but not perfect.

It wasn't until I changed my leaf springs. They were the problem. My first test drive was going to be around the block which very quickly turned into a 40 minute test drive! Wow is all I could say. I must have hit the right toe setting for my car. All my issues were gone. It just drove fantastic.

The more modifications you do to your suspension, the more you have to gain by making your own adjustments. Every car is going to be different as the driver.
Tom, I have Eaton GT rear leafs with Bilsteins all around. My feeling is the rear suspension is a little more compliant than the front now. If they were old springs I go for the SD 4-1/2 mideye. We have a local spring shop I might inquire about adding an extra leaf.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Be careful with toe on the highway - what feels great on a city street might suddenly turn real scary on the highway! Too much toe will cause the car to wander into divots/cracks/invisible holes in the road and will get you sucked into semi truck slipstreams like crazy. I've scared the hell out of myself that way before.

1/8" toe shouldn't be too much for stock steering. Just a caution, is all.

My rack and pinion does not like more than 3/32" toe - drives great with less toe, but it is AWFUL with 1/8"!
Kelly, thanks for the info I just might try to bring it in to 1/16".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts