Vintage Mustang Forums banner

I gambled on CY Pony and lost

7K views 56 replies 44 participants last post by  clarkheart 
#1 ·
Been waiting on a order for over a month. I realize there is the whole COVID thing, but no way to reach them to cancel my order.

Perhaps they are on the verge of collapse? While many love NPD, it would be a shame if the number of large vendors shrank.

#38 ·
I have been ordering over 2 years and many$$$. Only one back order and one part that just didn’t work for my application from CJ. Both problems resolved to my satisfaction. (NPD had the same part on back order at that time.) I have also shopped NPD and was satisfied. What does truly amaze me is that I can reliably order parts for a 50 year old car and get them. Let’s not get unrealistic in expectations. My $.02.

#40 ·
As of today, I have six emails and six VM's into CJ over a 10 day period. The hold time this morning was 1,250 mins. Their call-back system is interesting too - I got a call this morning at 5:30am, PT - but nobody ever came on the call. I get the whole COVID thing but I've got back-ordered items and I want to cancel so I can order from John's or NPD but I worry they will ship the orders when the parts come in. I emailed the CEO and he did not respond.

#41 ·
UPDATE: CJ Pony called me back - had an informative conversation with Amy. Several issues caused slow or no call-back or email returns. I'll spare you the details - but the poor service issues will be addressed and things should return to normal.

#43 ·
I had ordered a K&N cleaning kit earlier this month and what I was sent was 22 religious sticker cards. WTF! I have tried calling, sent Emails, and the callback thing but who wants to wait 1339 minutes? I have ordered a lot of parts from them in the past with no problems in the past. But why the poor customer service now? Beyond me. I'll just stick with NPD from now on.

#45 ·
I'm surprised at all of this. I've been using CJ pony parts for 2 years, and I'm in Canada! Apart from the recent month of slow call backs due to COVID, all my orders have been shipped same day, and their cross boarder fees are much lower then others. Maybe I'm just lucky.

#46 ·
My parts finally arrived today. I placed the order a day or two before Memorial Day. I ordered a backup light kit and they shipped me only one side, as the other was out of stock. Still wonder what would have become of my order if I hadn't contacted them and complained? I haven't spent a huge amount with them, but probably $2,500 or more over a four or five year period, and most of it was smooth. But the recurring out of stock, drop shipped items, has gotten much worse. I too used to wonder what all the harping was about, but I see it now.

#49 ·
Actual shipping is no better... no one can tell me where this went. It was supposedly on the truck for delivery... then nothing. It was a child car seat. Not a small item. I think someone at USPS got a new car seat...

Amazon sent another... but not cool....

#50 ·
I had an oil pan get stuck in Phoenix for over a week, if I recall, before it finally made it the last 4 hours to my house. Same thing....delivery delay. I finally contacted the local post office to start tracking it, then all of a sudden it left that black hole in Phoenix and made it here.

#52 ·
It's weird. We had a small local printer make up semi-custom carbon copy type invoices at work. Running low and time to restock. Phone disconnected. After some rooting around we finally called the shop next door to him. They said they closed up last May and haven't been back since. It wasn't so easy replacing them.

I have more motorcycles than is healthy for me. Every so often my "parts wanted" list gets too big and I order a bunch of stuff. Saves on shipping. Out of 12 items, only one would not have been back ordered. A fairly big and prosperous vendor. Not today.

I've been leering at those 72 inch US General tool boxes at Harbor Freight and finally decided to pop for one. Nope. Back ordered until sometime in November they say. If you look online most of their tool boxes are back ordered at least until August.

The RV industry is jumping. Lots of folks decided to go camping. Lots of big RV's back ordered. They're having multiple issues. We have a local Freightliner plant that makes rolling chassis setups for many brands. You can drive by there and see them overflowing the lots. The orders and and building them but can't get them shipped. The RV builders are having issues. One major holdup for a while was no AC units. They were buying them from camping supply stores or wherever to try and complete coaches. They couldn't/wouldn't ship them without climate control installed. That has eased up but for a while you couldn't find certain AC units anywhere. Next, furniture. Nobody wants to buy a quarter million dollar coach with no seats in it apparently. So another stall. So Freightliner can't ship new chassis out because the factories can't get their almost finished coaches shipped and only have so much room to park things. So people at Freightliner are looking at layoffs because they are being adequately productive.
Stuff like like this (never mind the great toilet paper shortage) doesn't make me feel terribly secure about our economic infrastructure.

Where I work we are covered up and looking to hire some more help. We run into odd supply issues now and then but none crippling.

#54 ·
I already have a 56 inch cabinet. The 72 is basically the same box, just stretched out. The 56 has been used and abused. Literally turned over once, on its face. That broke all the drawer latches and damaged some of the drawer rails. Neverminding the actual dents. Repaired it and it keeps going. I just want a little more room. And frankly it's kind of beat up. I think the 56 is about seven years old now. When it got turned over a buddy said "Aren't you glad it wasn't a ten thousand dollar Snap On?" He was right. That was a nice bright side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.