Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met the original owner when she was a little old lady. Bought it new, I think to order. It was her toy, kept it the rest of her life. The her husband kept it the rest of his. Current owner treats it just as well. I say as well because the Raven Black paint on that 390GT-equipped mach1 is the original paint.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I love how you could have either a GT or a Mach1 in '69. I guess they wanted to cover all possible buyer groups

·
Vendor
3,877 Posts
That's a great car... It's not all about the mileage, it's about the care and the storage just as much. That one's still looking proud.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Thats a great car. 1969 has always been my favorite year. My very first car.. purchased in 1985-ish for $200 was a primered 1969 Sportsroof. I drove that car everywhere and I kick myself every time I see another 69 for selling it.

-Shannon

·
Vendor
3,877 Posts
I remember "back in the early days" of NPD (real early-80's) when we bought and sold cars in our front showroom in Gainesville, my dad scored an all-original (not quite as pristine as the one above, but still shiny original paint with nice original interior) '69 Mach 1 S-code 4-speed in black, with red stripe and red interior. What a great looking car it was, and 4-speed to boot.

And as things came and went, it came and went quickly. I think he bought it for $3K, sold it for $4K. LOL..

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think the 69's are the ugliest Mustangs ever. That's why I bought one so my fellow Americans would not have to suffer. Yes, I'm that unselfish.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
So where is the car that you get to see it, or are you seeing just the pic? Very cool 69.

·
Premium Member
12,040 Posts
I love how you could have either a GT or a Mach1 in '69. I guess they wanted to cover all possible buyer groups
The GT had been in existence since 1965. The Mach 1 was new for 1969. Mach 1 sales so overwhelmed GT sales that the GT was dropped. I don't think the GT option lasted the entire '69 model year.

Like others my first Mustang was a '69 M1 but I didn't get it until '73.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
The GT had been in existence since 1965. The Mach 1 was new for 1969. Mach 1 sales so overwhelmed GT sales that the GT was dropped. I don't think the GT option lasted the entire '69 model year.

Like others my first Mustang was a '69 M1 but I didn't get it until '73.
Ford made more profit off the Mach 1 than they did the GT, so they pushed the Mach 1 and dropped the GT in 1969.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
....and the Mach I option continued every year through 1978 model year.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Ya, but the 69 is the original, and only one that counts. :)
Love `69 Mach I`s, my brother first car in `82 or `83... sold long ago

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I remember "back in the early days" of NPD (real early-80's) when we bought and sold cars in our front showroom in Gainesville, my dad scored an all-original (not quite as pristine as the one above, but still shiny original paint with nice original interior) '69 Mach 1 S-code 4-speed in black, with red stripe and red interior. What a great looking car it was, and 4-speed to boot.

And as things came and went, it came and went quickly. I think he bought it for $3K, sold it for $4K. LOL..
25% return... not bad!!!!

·
Vendor
3,877 Posts
25% return... not bad!!!!
The running joke back then (we stopped selling cars in/around 1985) was the worse shape the car was in, the more profitable it was... Especially with the 55-57 T-birds, because we moved a lot of those.

Any time dad got something TRULY PRISTINE and worthy, he'd price it fairly and there it would sit for months into years.

But any time he'd pay peanuts for a rusted needing-everything-fright-pig, it would be gone in a matter of days, for double or even triple what he paid.

He could make good money selling junk day in day out. But the nice stuff, he hardly made a nickel on it. Except that one Boss 351 we rescued "from the sticks" that wound up cleaning-up and running like a brand-new car. That was the one exception where he scored big on a top-tier car.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I understand what you mean @22GT - - - First time I'm seeing it and my smile is ear to ear!

John

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So where is the car that you get to see it, or are you seeing just the pic? Very cool 69.
That teensy little patch of Wimbledon White in the lower right corner of the frame is my 66.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I met the original owner when she was a little old lady. Bought it new, I think to order. It was her toy, kept it the rest of her life. The her husband kept it the rest of his. Current owner treats it just as well. I say as well because the Raven Black paint on that 390GT-equipped mach1 is the original paint.
Very pretty car, and I'd rather have a 69 GT than a Mach 1 seeing the GT got dumped.
Kudos to the current owner for keeping it safe.

I think the 69's are the ugliest Mustangs ever. That's why I bought one so my fellow Americans would not have to suffer. Yes, I'm that unselfish.
That said, I guess I'm a pretty unselfish guy myself :)

Reactions: Crank_It_Up
1 - 20 of 20 Posts