Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first, 351C 2v, c4 , 308 open.

Ok, First gear from idle to about 4800 rpm Im in the pinned in the back of my seat going warp speed. Freakin pop it into second and then I take a nap! It just stop going fast tell about 4 seconds later when it hits 3200 or so rpm then im going warp speed again, then third gear is like im standing still. What causes first to be so radical, then the next to gears to just suck? Would higher stall fix the delay? Do I need more air and fuel from a 4v carb? Lower gears? Or D , all the above? I kind of like the 2v for the low end it puts out, but im sick of watching cats from 3 bus lengths back shoot by me when I shift into second /forums/images/icons/frown.gif. Whatch yall be thinkin?? I dunno, maybe it my cam. Or maybe I need some dice in the mirror?? heck, I need to go to bed.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Cleves like to breathe real deep..if you are shifting manually..I would hold it in first until about 5,500..when you shift into second the power band should be right there. right now your rpm's are dropping below the area Cleves like to be in..rear end gearing would help quite a bit to keep that motor wrapped up a bit tighter

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
What sort of cam does the engine have? Could be that the cam/intake/exhaust combination is a mismatch. Too big a cam will cause symptoms like that.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
You have some other problem.
When you shift at 4800 rpm it takes 4 seconds to get it up to 3200?
Just how far does it drop from first at 4800?
I would think a shift from first to second at 4800rpm it would" pick up" at least at 3200 to start.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
4.8k seems like a real early shift in a Cleveland.

How long is your shift time? Shifting a c-4 should result in an instantaneous shift (less than a milesecond) Does it slip between gears?

Is it a stock c4? With stock gear ratios or has it been worked over for more aggressive driving?

You may also be staving for fuel a little resulting in a slower accleration at higher speed and engine load. Has the car stopped pulling at 4.8k and that is why you shift?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me cover some things...
You guys are mentioning the breathing and whinding capabilities of the clev. But im running the 2v with the smaller ports and valves. These dont perform anywhere but in the low and mid range correct? Reving it past 5500 would seem kind of rediculous, right? All the induction is stock. The motor was all rebuilt to stock spec. The same spec cam was used, including the origional 2v intake and carb. I added a mallory dual point vacuum adv, and some headmans, thats it for now.

So, I could probably take it past 4800 but it really flattens out, and Im just a sissy. I have a stock c4 and stock 8 incher with 3.08 too. Not a real balanced setup I guess. If it means anything I just pulled my plugs and they were a very light tan color. Is it running too lean u think? I also havnt timed the thing, I just kept messing with it tell it finally ran good.( no timing light, or money to get it tuned). This is probably just a 2 barrel thing. And btw. When it comes down from 4.8k it goes to about 2k goes really slow to about 2700 then starts pick in up, hits 3200 then it starts moving like a mother. What do you think i should do? Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts