Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, my car is apprroaching the point where i have almost all the body work done and have it stripped to bare metal and primed. so im wondering what im looking at price wise to have someone spray it with primer sealer , vintage burgandy and then a clear coat if i buy the paint?
i had a supposed hookup tell me he would paint it for 700 bucks if i supply the paint.thats with me wet sanding it and completely taping it off. dosent sound like a hook up to me. i just need a driver paint job not a show car one.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
If you've done all the prep work up to the paint, why not paint it yourself? It's the prep that makes or breaks the final appearance IMO.
Now if your not willing to paint it, then paying someone that can is your way to go. You just have to be willing to pay for the skill that someone else has worked hard for! $700 doesn't seem too much to me considering what you would pay a good quality shop.
Another route would be Maaco, they may paint it for a small fee.

That's my 2-fitty, FWIW ;)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If youve got to buy the paint, do the taping and sanding Id say $700 is expensive. Thats $700 for nothing more than shooting the primer and paint. It works out to about $200 an hour. Id have to say if someone was to ask me and they were going to have it all ready and was there to offer help and be my gofer during the paint process(and who wouldnt want to be there to help?) Id shoot the paint for $200. You wont find many people willing to just spray the paint, its usually good "connections " that get you set up like that.If youre confident in your body work a place like maaco can be a great option. Like the above poster said a good paint job is in the prep work. Usually those maaco guys are good painters, but sloppy maskers and they just skimp on prep to widen the profit margin.

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
I totally agree with silverblue. The prep is 90% of the work and 95% of the difficulty. The actual painting is very easy. Go check out Macco or another local place as suggested. Check the quality of their paint jobs (keeping in mind the quality of the body work.) Any descent place will let you look at their work. Get several quotes and talk to them. You will eventually find somebody that you trust enough.
I had a friend paint mine in his garage. I was very happy with the end result. I removed all the trim. He did all the body work and I did all the wet sanding, buffing and reassembly. He supplied the paint (BC/CC)and materials and charged $1800.
Dave

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
$700, and you are gonna mask it? maybe he is allowing himself some time to go over all teh masking work and all teh body work and tie up any loose ends. most of the time, I charge $500 a car just for masking and shooting, if they supply the paint. Of course, for that money, what they are getting is, me to check out all their bodywork, maybe fix things that are incredibly hideous, then go over ever inch of the car very carefully making sure there is nothing that is gonna surprise me, and then masking it off, whihc could take a full 8 hour day to do, depending on what all is n teh car, to be masked off, and finally, after all that.... painting the darned thing. yeah, $700 sounds a bit hihg, but are you sure he is just gonna spray teh paint on it? Are you sure he is not gonna mask it off? are you using his masking tape and paper to mask it off? You know what's funny, about 5 years ago, I paid $35 for a 4 roll masking machine, and today it costs me $75 to put paper and tape on it. $75 for 4 rolls of paper, and 4 rolls of tape. so, add another couple (probably 3 more rolls of 3/4 inch tape, and 1 or 2 rolls of 2 inch tape) and you have $100 in masking paper and tape, plus wax and grease remover, and then there is cleanup thinner for the gun, and wear and tear maintenance on the equipment. booth filters are $65 for a replacement. dessicant beads are $50 for replacement, and let's not forget the cost of electricity and heating, if it is a heated booth. some booths cost $50 or more for one drying cycle between electricity adn natural gas. so, what is that painter really left with when he pays the bills? but yeah, $700 just for shooting is atad bit much. I guess... depends on where you live, too...

anyhow, take my opinion with a grain of something small. I am jus tone of those overpriced painters who is out to make money, painting cars. Hey, if computer programmers and techs can charge me $100 per hour to reinstall windows, then why shouldn't I be able to charge $40 an hour to break my back? Oh that's right, because I am an idiot overpriced painter. :)

shop around. There is always a guy hurting for work somewhere who will undercut that $700 price tag.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Any reason you don't want to paint it yourself? I am finishing up painting my 66 Coupe. Yes, I have swore and said I will never do this again.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would paint the car myself but im one of those unlucky guys who bought a house without a garage. so if i painted it. it would have to be done in my backyard. i could try to use my inlaws garage but i would be afraid of getting overspray all over the garage.
i will probably just call every place in the phone book.
thanks.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
John,
Don't sell yourself short ;) Sounds to me from all the Paint postings you've had over the years that you are one of the very skilled body and paint guys that are out there. I'm sure it's taken alot of work to get as good as you are, don't you think you should be paid accordingly? There will always be people out there that do a half a$$ job that's dirt cheap but thankfully there are also people that appreciate a skilled craftsman and are willing to pay for it!
I run into this same problem with "Garage Woodworkers" that make crap and then try to sell it as High Quality Woodwork....Yea right.
IMHO, you should have your own section in this sight just for the knowledge that you have passed on about body work and paint, that is Priceless ::

1 - 8 of 8 Posts