Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you guys are wanting to get a Factory 5 roadster or coupe kit soon (and Don't say "Cobra" or ole Shel will sue your tail off) you might want to go ahead and order. I got a newsletter from them yesterday that said they were selling a limited number of coupe kits for $5000 off and a limited number of roadster kits for $1000 off.

There was also a long article showing their take on their litigation with Ford/Shelby. Per Factory 5, it's over. They paid $1.3 Million in legal expenses and left with the right to make and sell their kits. They can't use certain words in association with their cars (Cobra, or 427SC for example). Per the article...that's all behind them and smooth sailing is ahead.

I wonder how many of those kits they have to sell to get $1.3 Million. I also wonder if Shelby paid for his own legal, or if he just got Ford to pony up their in-house counsel.

Commentary:

What a big waste of time and effort by Ford and Shelby. FFR wasn't using those words anymore anyway. All they did was spend a lot of money to try to bully the smaller guy into submission. With Shelby, it's always about Shelby. Sure the guy did a lot for cars over the years, but mostly he's done a lot for himself. Maybe if he wasn't so self centered, he'd have never had the gumption to make the first Cobras, and their later mustang based brothers. But he seems to have developed a bad case of "situational narcisism" (Heard that one on NPR /forums/images/icons/wink.gif) over the years. Too bad for him. Life's too short.

Phil

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
I personally think Shelby is doing too little, too late. If he was concerned about the knock-offs, he should have created a licensing mechanism (probably with Ford) so got a 'cut' of all the kit sales in the first place.

I feel for him actually. I know if I created something and an entire industry sprouted up with me getting no cut, I'd be miffed. As I said though, if he was concerned, he should have done something 'back in the day' to make sure he retained the ability to license the design so he would always make money from it.

-bob

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I feel for him actually. I know if I created something and an entire industry sprouted up with me getting no cut, I'd be miffed.

<hr></blockquote>You probably feel sorry for Al "I created the Internet" Gore too!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Better mail him a check today, [color:red]bob</font color=red>!!!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, per the researcher that was discussing it on NPR, the classical psychological view of narcissism is that it is a trait that develops in early childhood and then can go on to effect behavior throughout an affected individual's entire life.

This researcher coined the phrase "Situational Narcissism" to describe similar behavioral traits that manifest themselves in otherwise normal people MUCH later in life who for some reason become the center of much attention. This could be a sports star, an actor, a highly successful business person, or one-time racer - turned car builder - turned cult figure. The traits associated with the disorder are related to self-centeredness to a dysfunctional degree. The danger to the individual is that once he or she becomes some self absorbed, this can destroy longstanding relationships with others or cause other dysfunctional behavior.

The differentiator between normal old every day Narcissism and Situational Narcissism would seem to be the age and circumstances of onset.

Does that answer your question?

Also, I'm not saying he is or he isn't. He's a great man who has accomplished a lot in his life. I just think it's sad that this late in the game he is wasting precious moments tilting at windmills. I am completely in agreement with Bob on this. If he would have continued production of his highly sucessful cars through today, the kit cars would not exist, and we'd be able to call up a Shelby dealer and just order a real one. How cool would that have been? But he didn't.

Phil

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing a friend/customer FF Cob... I mean kit car. He got it recently and has raved about it. Wonder if he can still get the discount?

G

·
0 Posts
I gotta tell ya,I met C.Shelby a few years ago,an my first impression was that he`s all about money
plain an simple,
I know a couple of guys who used to work for him back in the old days at the airport and it was nothin short of a Zoo out of controll,cash flow problems,supplier problems,bouncing checks etc.
neat place to work[for the car aspect of it]but if you had a wife/kids an bills it was no fun
Dave

·
Registered
537 Posts
I got the same flyer. I loved that "supercar" kit they are working on. Some day i will have a Factory 5 Shelby kit, someday....

Jason

·
Registered
923 Posts
As per Hoosierbuddy's lecture.

"Well, per the researcher that was discussing it on NPR, the classical psychological view of narcissism is that it is a trait that develops in early childhood and then can go on to effect behavior throughout an affected individual's entire life."

I realize that I have develop a narcissism. It started at the young age of 13 and has ocupied and controlled my life since then

DAMM SEX DRIVE

Iv'e noticed that its more of a "situational narcissism" It's at its worst when attractive women are around. and then it effects me about ever 6 seconds.

I'll have to get some help, or maybe just get some

Thanks Phil and everyone at VMF I don't know what I would have done without your help

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts