Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I figured out a great way to add the 3 pt seat belts to my 67 convertible. I hit the salvage yard a couple of days ago and saw a 98 Chevy pickup truck. I opened the door and peeked inside, just to see how the "Darkside" lives. Anyway, I never thought about it before, but the seatbelt system was pretty cool. You have both retractors for the lap and shoulder belt in one package together. They mounted together to a bracket and then have the usual plastic covering case over that. The lap belt basically angles foward and up at a 45* angle; then right next to it on the same bracket, but pointing straight up is the shoulder belt. Then as they both come out of their respective retractors they come together to one male buckle. The way I figure it, this would mount very neatly right to the left and slightly behind the drivers seat. Then I could reach over and with one stealth-like swoop pull the buckle with both belts over to my right and ..snap. It gets better... since I decided my 67 vert is going to be driven daily, I wanted it to be a little safer and got a set of seats out of a 98 LX Mustang. They are highback with headrests and seatbelt holders off the headrest. Therefore, I can keep my belt in the holder and only have to reach to my left shoulder to pull both belts over in one samuai-like movement. Anyway, I rant. I picked up the seats from the upolstery shop yesterday. They were origianlly gray cloth and are now parchment vinyl to match the rest of the 67 verts interior. He even added some pleats to make it match a little better. Because of the seat buns he had to keep some of the 98 contours, but overall I am happy and think they will look good and be much safer for me and my wife. Yes, guys she wants to drive it sometimes too. (I'm considering therapy to help me through that) It should be on the road by next month. Wish me luck. I'll try to post pics of the seats just for grins. Happy 4th everyone !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Where are you going to put the anchor point for the shoulder belt, in the door jamb?

Nice looking seats. What was the ballpark cost for upholstery?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The seats cost $400 to have redone in the parchment vinyl. Then I bought another two yards of vinyl from him at $20 per yard so I can cover the doors with it. That's one yard for each door. I think it was worth it. I was hoping I could just run the seatbelt up from the left side just behind the seat straight up though the seatbelt holder that comes off the headrest. I'm not sure yet if that will work. Otherwise I'm going to try and mount a pivot point somewhere in the jamb or by the window crank. Not 100% sure how I'm going to do that part yet. I thought I had a set of seatbelts lined up but it fell through, so I'm on the hunt again. I think a set out of a 98 Chevy truck will work well. (see my earlier post) But the only set I found is red and I don't want to dye them. So, I'm now hunting for a black set in excellent shape.

·
Premium Member
19,215 Posts
Running shoulder belts just up and over the seat is not good; in fact, it is dangerous. They must be supported on the car somewhere above the height of your shoulder, otherwise, the belts will crush your spine in an accident. Or, the seat back will break backwards, and the shoulder belts will do you no good. There are newer model seats that are much stronger, and incorporate the shoulder belt into them.

What the shoulder belt device that attaches to most seats is simply an aide to routing, and is not structurally sound.

Please think long and hard on this....

·
Registered
532 Posts
Have you tryed calling the Chevy dealer to see if they came in black? They may not have used that color.
I got to say, the seats look GREAT! I love the job they did. Just enugh of the vintage look to fit with the rest of the car.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I haven't tried to call the chevy dealer. I've just been searching around for a set. Theya re so expensive new from the dealer, I want an alternate source. the slavage yard guy said they did come in black and he would call around for me. possibly that will develope this week. MMMmmmm...I didn't realize about the pivit point being absolutely neccessary. I guess I'll go check out the car today and see where to mount it. the interior is out so now is the time. Thanks for that tip. Thanks for hte complement on the seats. About another mont h and the cr should be on the road...I can't wait. i just got the bill fromthe chrome shop...$650!!!! But, they do damn good work.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My '90 LX convertible has a bracket (guide) that the belt slips into. The end of the belt is fastened to the top front of the housing for the rag top meachanism. The retractor is mounted alongside the seat on the floor.

I would like to set up my 1968 coupe with a 3 point system. Right now it has two separate belts. Could I use a set scavanged from a salvage yard, and any ideas on which ones will work? I don't really care if doesn't look 'original' or not, as long as it works properly.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Do you have a picture of your modern seats with parchment vinyl redo?

I got some 89 seats, and was thinking of just scraping the back seats, and going black interior. But am curious as to how your seats worked out.

Thanks

Sloan
([email protected] is my email fyi)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Ok, I'm an idiot. I should have done "flat" read first. I see the pictures now.

Boo Me!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts