Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of those upgrades that can transform a car with a single part. While there are thousands of wheels that fit these cars, there are only a few that "fit" these cars. Unfortunately this car looks like every other '66 with American Racing wheels, this is definitely an upgrade from the 14" wheels that were on there before.

Here's the video on the install

I also had to roll the fenders slightly due to the larger tires. This would have been a different video if I was able to get the fender roller to work correctly.

·
Registered
242 Posts
This stuff works great to get rid of the blue tint on new tires. Just spray... let it sit for 10min, scrub, and rinse with water.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This stuff works great to get rid of the blue tint on new tires. Just spray... let it sit for 10min, scrub, and rinse with water.

I wish I would have found this stuff a while ago, my arms are still sore from the scrubbing I had to do. :)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Nice! Goes really well with your Mustang. Here is my 68' with 15x7 225/60/15 rear and 215/60/15 front. I didn't realize at he time I was building my car I could easily have gone 225 up front on a 68' without any rolling necessary.

Mine are Torque Thrust D's from the late 90's. I've been thinking of replacing them with the Original VN309 style such as you have. Not just because I like them, but I think the rears are getting a little bit out of round. I mounted and balanced them myself and could see it on the machine.

I'm not sure if I want to do 'staggered' with 15x8 in the back or stay all 15x7. I don't really need to rotate them as I do about 5k per year at most.

One thing...just incase it has to be said. You really must put a click-clack torque wrench on these. Especially when they are new! I set mine to 90 ft/lb and retorque them a couple times per season. I worked in tire shops in high school and my early 20's and had cars come in all the time with hand-loose lugnuts often, and a little electric impact may not put down enough torque or do it evenly. If using an air gun use an 85 or 90 torque stick always. Over tightening can warp things.

I also found some smaller, all-metal American Racing caps that aren't all long and plastic-y like the ones it comes with. To get around the hub issue for flats I believe there is a product to cover the hub or a slightly longer flat cap for the front. You can also just take the hub cover off, but not sure what long-term effects that could have. Probably not much if you are not driving it in rain, as the bearing is covered up.

Cheers and Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice! Goes really well with your Mustang. Here is my 68' with 15x7 225/60/15 rear and 215/60/15 front. I didn't realize at he time I was building my car I could easily have gone 225 up front on a 68' without any rolling necessary.

Mine are Torque Thrust D's from the late 90's. I've been thinking of replacing them with the Original VN309 style such as you have. Not just because I like them, but I think the rears are getting a little bit out of round. I mounted and balanced them myself and could see it on the machine.

I'm not sure if I want to do 'staggered' with 15x8 in the back or stay all 15x7. I don't really need to rotate them as I do about 5k per year at most.

One thing...just incase it has to be said. You really must put a click-clack torque wrench on these. Especially when they are new! I set mine to 90 ft/lb and retorque them a couple times per season. I worked in tire shops in high school and my early 20's and had cars come in all the time with hand-loose lugnuts often, and a little electric impact may not put down enough torque or do it evenly. If using an air gun use an 85 or 90 torque stick always. Over tightening can warp things.

I also found some smaller, all-metal American Racing caps that aren't all long and plastic-y like the ones it comes with. To get around the hub issue for flats I believe there is a product to cover the hub or a slightly longer flat cap for the front. You can also just take the hub cover off, but not sure what long-term effects that could have. Probably not much if you are not driving it in rain, as the bearing is covered up.

Cheers and Enjoy.
Your car looks good, a clean look.
I almost got the D's, but I wanted the straighter spoke from the original style. The D's had a curved spoke to clear brake calipers, but it's not an issue with my Wilwoods.
I did go back an torque the wheels properly, the impact gun in the video is just to mount the wheels on so I can set the car down. I had filmed doing that torque wrench part, but I cut it as it wasn't really adding any value to the video. I did the same cutting with each wheel, there's less video of each wheel going on as it's the same as the previous wheel and nobody really wants to watch me spend 10 minutes putting on 4 wheels. :)
I have since purchased the matching cap to the rear, but the back is bored out to the axle cap can fit. It looks much better now that it matches the rear.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Looks good!! - you did use a torque wrench on those lugs didn't you?

John

·
Registered
844 Posts
Your car looks good, a clean look.
I almost got the D's, but I wanted the straighter spoke from the original style. The D's had a curved spoke to clear brake calipers, but it's not an issue with my Wilwoods.
I did go back an torque the wheels properly, the impact gun in the video is just to mount the wheels on so I can set the car down. I had filmed doing that torque wrench part, but I cut it as it wasn't really adding any value to the video. I did the same cutting with each wheel, there's less video of each wheel going on as it's the same as the previous wheel and nobody really wants to watch me spend 10 minutes putting on 4 wheels. :)
I have since purchased the matching cap to the rear, but the back is bored out to the axle cap can fit. It looks much better now that it matches the rear.
Very nice solution to the cap issue! I might try that one day ;) Also did not know the straight spokes have clearance issues with calipers. I am still all drum. I plan to go with the 67' KH discs up front soon. So the switch to 309's might not work. I like the classic look of the straight spoke a little bit better.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Nice wheels. The Cragars are kinda cool, but I'm not a fan of them especially from a safety standpoint if they are uni-lug which those appear to have been and they were 14s anyway. Looks like your previous setup caught the edge of the fender like mine did about a year ago.

Kinda bummed to hear that the Eastwood roller is too large for the wheel opening, since that is what I picked up off of Marketplace a little while back and was hoping to use on my car.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I dunno how you got 225/60/15 wheels to fit in the front with torq thrust wheels. Everything I’ve read here says that almost impossible even with rolling the fenders. I go back and forth on wanting those wheels for my 65. I love how they look and almost pull the trigger on a yearly basis but then stop myself after reading the posts here and how they will rub. Kudos

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Beware of the Bleche White! It used to work better when it was Westleys before it became Black Magic, but it doesn't work as well now. It can also etch wheels if they are not kept wet.

I have found that Meguiars wheel/tire cleaner works much better on white walls and white letters.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I dunno how you got 225/60/15 wheels to fit in the front with torq thrust wheels. Everything I’ve read here says that almost impossible even with rolling the fenders. I go back and forth on wanting those wheels for my 65. I love how they look and almost pull the trigger on a yearly basis but then stop myself after reading the posts here and how they will rub. Kudos
I was looking at switching to 225 60 15 tires from 215 60 15 but with the 4.25 backspacing on 15x7 Magnum 500s I don't think it will clear the upper ball joint bulge on the control arm. That might be less of an issue with the Torque Thrust since they seem to have a backspacing that places them farther out. Something else to consider here is front suspension. I think it will be a much tighter fit if things like the Shelby drop has been done.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is one of those upgrades that can transform a car with a single part. While there are thousands of wheels that fit these cars, there are only a few that "fit" these cars. Unfortunately this car looks like every other '66 with American Racing wheels, this is definitely an upgrade from the 14" wheels that were on there before.

Here's the video on the install

I also had to roll the fenders slightly due to the larger tires. This would have been a different video if I was able to get the fender roller to work correctly.
How was the ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
739 Posts
Looks great!!!!

Use BonAmi or similar cleaning powder n stiff brush. Easy peasy. :)

Chris

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have seen those torque thrust flat caps with a hole for the front, you might look into that?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts